back to article 'Our hosted pools are under attack by abusers': Azure DevOps enjoys a midweek TITSUP*

Engineers around the world have been given a few hours off today, assuming they are using Microsoft's Azure DevOps Hosted Pools, as the platform buckled under a second wave of attacks. Issues first cropped up in the early hours of the morning (UK time), afflicting "all geographies" according to Microsoft and was described …

1. IGotOut Silver badge
    Coat

Has to be said.

Have they tried turning it off and back on again.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Trollface

Re: Has to be said.

May I propose simply turning it off...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well its the cloud right and you chose it. So you wanted a non-deterministic infrastructure for your enterprise right?

Basically your decision was incorrect. Enjoy.

3. HildyJ Silver badge
    Devil

Sounds about right

When the pool is abused, you drain the pool, identify the abuser, and chlorinate everything.

1. Jim Mitchell Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Sounds about right

I've seen Caddyshack, the abuse in the pool was just a candy bar. I think the greens keeper took care of it...

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. ecofeco Silver badge

I never get tired of saying it

How that's cloud thing working out for ya?

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"convenient alternatives to self-hosting"

Am I glad that I don't work in the kind of environment that thinks that self-hosting is anathema.

It may work for some, but I have been self-hosting my data for over two decades and I have had no problem. That does not incite me to indulge in handing over my data to some faceless virtual hosting facility.

All the stories I hear about burning datacenters, entire swaths of hosted servers wiped by some "event", and the many, many stories about pilfered user data really do not make me think "hey, I just might try out that cloud stuff everyone is talking about".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "convenient alternatives to self-hosting"

This isn't as simple as just your data though. This is multiple build agents, where you have to install and maintain the underlying OS in addition to any pipeline tools you may require.

The ability to have this done as part of a hosted agent IS convenient and inexpensive most of the time for a great deal of use cases.

Anyway, with Azure DevOps, if you want to maintain and host the build agents yourself you are able to do so easily enough.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021