back to article It's official: Microsoft updates Visual Studio Code to run on Raspberry Pi OS

A new version of Visual Studio Code has arrived just in time for Chocolate Egg Day featuring "official support for Raspberry Pi OS", which might come as a surprise to those who have spent the last month or so complaining about it. 📢 The March @code update is here! Check out what's new: 📓 Notebooks improvements 🍎 Updated …

1. Tom 7 Silver badge

A year after

VScodium got on there!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A year after

And a few weeks after a Raspberry Pi OS update sneaked in a reference to the VScode repos, to a rather mixed reception.

A related after-the-event announcement on the Pi site

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/visual-studio-code-comes-to-raspberry-pi/

provoked extensive discusson including much unhappiness.

There's a relatively balanced discussion at

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2021/microsoft-repo-and-key-are-automatically-added-raspberry-pis

and lots of other discussion elsewhere, for anyone interested.

Has El Reg covered the topic? Couldn't quickly find an article before this one.

I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw links to MS repos being added to "my" Pi systems (with little or no warning) as part of a routine Raspberry Pi OS update.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Glances at Calendar...

n/t

3. TheRealRoland
    Devil

The exe i downloaded doesnt want to run, can anyone help me here?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Yes. Respect its wishes.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

I feel that if I did give the obvious answer I could be the victim of some joke that I'm missing and the QI klaxons will sound.

4. ovation1357

Nope

I just can't do it! It's got Microsoft in its name and I just haven't been able to bring myself to try it. I simply do not trust them.

I'm not really getting quite why it's shot up to being one of the most popular IDEs now. Why do people like it so much? What advantage(s) does it bring over the many other open source IDEs?

Regarding the memory usage though - besides using vim (which is perfectly good but has a step learning curve) and anyone truly point to an IDE that doesn't hog a tonne of RAM?

Right now I'm using PHPStorm from JetBrains which will occupy 1-2GB RAM before you've done anything but it was always a similar experience with NetBeans, Eclipse and even when I tried Atom I seem to recall that it was heavier on RAM than I'd expected.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nope

I use Atom on Mac and Linux and don't notice heavy memory usage. In fact Atom runs much faster and slicker than either Sublime Text or VSCode on both platforms.

2. frankyunderwood123

Get over the microsoft hatred...

... it's really old hat now.

VSCode is excellent - and it's free - what's not to love?

It has an incredible eco-system of user contributed plugins and runs on multiple platforms.

That is why it is so popular.

JetBrains make awesome products - arguably, their IDE's are more sophisticated, but the eco-system around it isn't anywhere near as good. That's probably a moot point for most users. I guess VSCode has become the darling of the ever changing JavaScript scene.

Not everything Microsoft does is "evil" - and not everything they do is "to kill open source".

Like many companies, Microsoft know that the money in Open Source is service based.

This absolutely isn't the same company we knew from the 90's and 00's - they have had to adapt to survive.

5. MJB7

Why one of the most popular IDEs

I can tell you why I use VSCode: All my code is on my Linux workstation in the office, but I am at home running a Windows laptop supplied by corporate IT, I connect by ssh through a VPN. I don't want to run a GUI on the Linux box because I live out in the sticks. VSCode has a group of extensions that "just work". Click a few buttons, copy an ssh key in the right place, and I'm good to go.

I'm sure vim and emacs could cope, but I _never_ got on with modal vi, and emacs is just too alien from all the other editors out there (editors like the comment box I am typing this in). I just can't justify the several months I think it would take to get back into emacs after 30 years away.

1. ovation1357

Re: Why one of the most popular IDEs

That's an excellent and well described use case.

Personally I love vim but I completely understand that it's not for everyone and whilst it absolutely can be set up as a very powerful IDE it requests a lot of fiddling with plugins and learning the various key combos - it's not for the faint of heart!

I'd imagine that the ability of VSCode to work on remote code over SSH is not a unique feature though. Great that it just works out if the box, and I suppose it's also great that it's free as well.

I currently use PHPStorm to invoke remote PHP via SSH but in my case the code item is already local and accessed on the remote system using NFS so I haven't had to try a remote editing option.

I'm going to guess that because it says 'Microsoft' in the title it's going to be the most likely tool that corporate IT might permit on a locked down laptop. Perhaps another case of Microsoft using its monopoly to dominate the market and push out any competition?

1. serendipity

"Perhaps another case of Microsoft using its monopoly to dominate the market and push out any competition?"

Maybe you've spent too much time customising vim to notice that things have changed a lot in the last 10 years or so. Microsoft monopoly my ar$e! Can you even name one area where big bad MS has a monopoly these days? Perhaps you need to get out more ;)) Now try not to freak out but do you know that Linux kernel you're using will most probably be running some MS contributed code ;)

1. ovation1357

Ahem!

Desktop OS Market share? https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide says 75.5% worldwide. Well that's practically a monopoly on desktops, especially when you see how much control they hold over the chip manufacturers, even for the devices which don't run Windows.

Microsoft Office? Totally dominant, partly due to Microsoft's awful 'open' XML format and abject refusal to properly support Open Document Foundation files.

Office 365? As above but this time throw email and video conferencing into the mix.

For years we had the dreaded Internet Explorer, then Chrome stole their market but now they've re-badged Chrome into Edge and made it multi platform in an attempt to claw back their share (and I believe it's entirely possible that many/most Windows users may just go along with Edge as the default browser in future as it's convenient and should be compatible with anything that works on Chrome so why bother installing Chrome).

They may have lost out in certain areas but don't be fooled

Whilst I'm not going to start wearing a tin foil hat, and I'm sure there are some very well-meaning and talented engineers at MS behind some of their open source efforts, and yes; I'm very well aware they're contributing code to Linux as well. However I'm yet to be convinced that the corporation doesn't see this as a loss-leader; a way to gain influence and control over some of the opposition.

I've been bitten too badly in the past to start trusting them any time soon. Maybe I'll be proved wrong - I might just start to be convinced if the wild rumours of them ditching the NT kernel and building Windows as a GUI on top of Linux came true (yeah right!) Or perhaps if they were to open source Windows itself.

In the meantime I'm steering clear where possible.

6. FlamingDeath Silver badge

A question comes to mind

WHY?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021