back to article Toshiba brings quantum-inspired computer out of the cloud and onto the desktop

Toshiba has brought its kind-of-quantum computers out of the clouds and onto Japanese desktops. The new offering is called a “simulated bifurcation machine” and uses what the company calls “quantum-inspired algorithms” that run on a field-programmable gate array (FPGA) inside in what appears to be a conventional x86 desktop …

1. Little Mouse Silver badge

Quantum Computing vs Quantum Physics

I don't doubt that they're great machines and do a fantastic job at whatever it is they're supposed to do. But "Quantum Inspired"? Really?

By jumping on the "Quantum Computing" bandwagon, companies have created a meaningless marketing label that no longer has anything to do with the underlying science of Quantum physics.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Quantum Computing vs Quantum Physics

Yeah nah. AFAIK the Ising stuff is a description of quantum phenomena, modelled in a classical computer. I think it flies. But I wrote it ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As far as I can tell, Ising stuff is related to simulated-annealing methods for solving problems like the travelling-salesman problem. So like the Editor says, definitely classical. But I think D-Wave's quantum computer is described as quantum simulated-annealing (whatever that means) isn't it?

2. Jan 0

> By jumping on the "Quantum Computing" bandwagon, companies have created a meaningless marketing label that no longer has anything to do with the underlying science of Quantum physics.

Why does that remind me of Artificial Intelligence?

1. teknopaul Silver badge

Its like that experiment where light acting as a wave is streamed into a dark box with a hole in in it and appears to come out occasionally acting as a particle.

if you throw enough marketing at an unsuspecting public and you get one sale every now and again you have proven that quantum computing behaves both like a very very small trend, and an individual sucker.

2. FlamingDeath Silver badge

I love fractals

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

So, what is this exactly?

Will those want them be buying specially built desktop PC with custom motherboards and chipsets or are these going to be expansion cards anyone can plug in (who can afford them) and run software to access them similar to using GPUs as compute devices?

4. Blackjack Silver badge

Freaking finally!

How long until we have a dedicated not quite quantum machines for gaming?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022