back to article Amazon’s critical Alabama warehouse workers union vote has started … and may be some time

There are a maximum of 6,000 votes to count but the push by workers at an Amazon warehouse in Alabama to unionize could take days as the high-stakes battle acts as a much larger proxy across America. Amazon is bitterly opposed to the move, as it has made plain through months of aggressive efforts to disrupt the vote, including …

  1. mevets Bronze badge

    Cats and Dogs living in harmony.

    Here we have two committed enemies, D Trump and J Bezos, both facing elections challenging their respective sandboxes, and both operating out of the same playbook. I wonder if Jeff has considered colouring his melon orange to please his master.

    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

      Re: Cats and Dogs living in harmony.

      Jeff doesn't give two hoots, he got out before the unions got to this stage. He's home and dry..

      Trumps finished so we don't care about his thoughts either, he's more interested in golf.

      It would be far more interesting to see how the Old Man Biden would fair up against a tech giant..

  2. Imhotep Silver badge

    The New Robber Barons

    It will be interesting to see how this turns out. If unionization succeeds in Alabama, I imagine it will just be the first domino that topples the rest of the Amazon locations.

    I'm not a big fan of unions as they operate in the US - I've belonged to the Teamsters and the CWA - but then, I never worked for Amazon either.

    1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

      Re: The New Robber Barons

      > I imagine it will just be the first domino that topples the rest of the Amazon locations.

      Or staffing the amazon warehouses will be outsourced to slaves-R-us. If there is any problem with the Teamsters you just award the contract to somebody else.

  3. Santa from Exeter

    Sealed Ballot Boxes

    I would have thought that both sides would have welcomed sealed ballot boxes if the issue is likely to be challenged whichever side wins.

    1. doublelayer Silver badge

      Re: Sealed Ballot Boxes

      I doubt it. The article points out the probable reason for the demand: to complain and hold up anything if they can find a mistake. Someone unsealed the box to count but there weren't three people logged in to check, so it will be embroiled in lawsuits for two years. It's basically the same reason that the organizer of the Nominet vote wouldn't make a speech during the meeting, because he figured they would lock him out so he couldn't vote. When you can't trust the other side, it's good not to give them ammunition to obstruct the process.

  4. rcxb Silver badge

    Amateurs

    Amazon is an amateur at the union busting game. When Wal-mart is facing a vote on unionizing, they suddenly decided to shut down the entire branch/location, first. Apparently that's not illegal in the US, so Wal-mart has used this same trick several times and remained union-free. Seems it would be even easier for Amazon to do the same.

    1. Kaki

      Re: Amateurs

      You're giving them ideas

  5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

    The Union makes us strong!

    Pay people a decent wage, give them decent conditions.

    The rich can afford it, especially in the US.

  6. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Facepalm

    If this passes....

    ....watch how quickly advanced automation is deployed in Amazon.

    This is straight out of Amazon's playbook... Use someone else to develop the market & technology, then do it themselves. USPS is a great example. They had the big Amazon contract for a few years - just long enough for Amazon to develop their own shipping service to replace them with.

    Same thing will happen here. Thanks, Humans, for getting this warehouse going. We are now replacing 95% of you with automation. We really don't care if the remaining 5% are unionized.

    Jobs always belong to the employer, not the employee.

    1. onemark03 Bronze badge

      Amazon: our workers don't have to urinate into bottles

      Yeah, right:

      https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56628745

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

  • Enter your comment

  • Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021