back to article Hyundai and Singapore's top telco charge towards electric vehicle battery subscription service, 5G smart factories

Hyundai Motor Company and Singapore's dominant telecommunications company Singtel have teamed to build 5G-connected smart factories and an electric vehicle battery subscription service. The Korean carmaker’s auto and manufacturing expertise and Singtel’s 5G and Internet of Things (IoT) smarts will be combined to develop and …

1. Chris G

So, according to the marketing wonks who made the video, substituting a real dad for a cyborg at his daughter's wedding is an answer to stop the old fool from steering his wheel chair over her dress?

Or did I not understand the video?

The idea of full real time telemetry on your personal vehicle is a wet dream for both data slurpers and police states.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can Hyundai build me a robot dad? I've never had a real one.

2. mark l 2 Silver badge

Battery subscription is an interesting idea, but current EV designs don't really support replacing batteries when the EV becomes EOL it is cheaper to buy a whole new vehicle than replace the batteries as they are spread out all over the EV.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly. Which is why the optimist in me is hoping that if Hyundai are looking to provide a "battery subscription" service, they must surely also be looking at how to cost-effectively replace the batteries on future models.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"real-time telemetry of electric vehicles to track battery performance"

Battery performance, sure. That's the only thing they want to track. Given how the COVID app has been subverted over there, with this news Hyundai is now on my blacklist of companies I never want to buy from.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like