back to article Scammers tried slurping folks' login details through 70,000 coronavirus-themed phishing URLs during 2020

Cybercriminals ruthlessly exploited the coronavirus pandemic to set up phishing websites that posed as Pfizer, BioNTech and other household-name suppliers of vaccines and PPE, according to Palo Alto Networks. In a post published today, Palo Alto's Unit 42 threat intel division said COVID-themed phishing lure URLs "largely …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

"asking users to log in with Office 365 credentials in order to register for vaccination"

Wow. That's actually a good move. I'm sure many, many sheeple did so without even blinking. Of course your Office 365 credentials are a valid indicator of your real-life identity. Isn't your name in it ? And your email ? And password ?

Obviously these are things a doctor will need before he jabs the needle in.

My God we can't colonize other stellar bodies too soon. I want a place on Ganymede.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Only 70,000? I guess spammers are working from home nowadays.

Browsing the Internet and opening emails is like walking around a firing range with a target strapped to your back and your phone in your hand, chatting on Twitter.

3. Tree
    Thumb Down

Have good sense not to reply or follow linka

I got a lot of these emails, but have been trained not to click on links in email. Heck. I did not open them after seeing the subject of the message. Many have not been trained to know about safety. I certainly would not enter personal info into Microsoft stuff.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021