back to article Total Eclipse team's new start: New Adoptium working group will promote free open source Java runtimes

The Eclipse Foundation has introduced a new Adoptium working group whose goal is to promote free, open source Java runtimes, with initial members including Alibaba Cloud, Huawei, IBM, Microsoft, New Relic, and Red Hat. Adoptium is an Eclipse project whose purpose is “to produce high-quality runtimes and associated technology …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Adoption?

No thanks. I'm already too scared shitless about my own sprogs to go and adopt someone else's.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Mushroom

Eclipse

The bane of Lotus Notes developers. I can't work more than half an hour in the Notes Designer without having phantom Notes processes skew the debugging.

Eclipse may have allowed X-pages technology and improved Lotus Notes' ability to be rendered in a browser, but its cost is untold hours of productivity lost while developers struggle to open database designs or understand why their updates do not change anything.

Database design. Before Eclipse it took 0.15 seconds to access the design of the database you were working on. After all, how long can it take to access less than 500 technical entries ? Since Eclispe was integrated, it can take up to three minutes to open the design of a mailbox. Three bloody minutes. Then, after half an hour, if you ever have to change a view definition, you are practically guaranteed to have to shut down your Notes client and kill all associated processes before relaunching it if you want to have a proper rendering of the results of your change. More often than not, you'll find that Notes has spawned as many phantom processes as the ones you're actually supposed to be using.

Eclipse. Burn it with fire. Nuke it from orbit. I can't wait for HCL to get rid of that shit.

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: Eclipse

Eclipse is a software foundation, not an app. It's like Apache, but the quality has been better on the projects I've used.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021