back to article Sloppy data compliance sees Japanese government cut out its own use of LINE messaging app

Less than a year after selecting the messaging app LINE as its preferred app COVID-era telemedicine, Japan has decided the app is too risky for government use over fears it leaks data. The nation's government last week announced it would investigate reports of compromised data. A few days later, Japan’s Internal Affairs and …

1. Ken Y-N
    Black Helicopters

The (over-?)reaction may in part be due to LINE being developed by a Japanese subsidiary of the Korean giant NAVER - I've seen right-wing loonies banging on about Korea stealing all the user data, so nationalist politicians might be wanting a more local solution.

As noted, LINE was already the main COVID telehealth hub, and had plans to be the main online vaccine appointment tool, so that's going to be yet another delay in the already glacial roll-out (hobble-out?) - we've so far had just half a million medical staff injected, and the old folk jabs start in two Tokyo city/wards from the 12th of next month, where they'll get one box each of 1,000 or so shots to inject. I might get mine for Christmas, if I'm lucky.

1. james 68

If you're a Japanese national sure, if you're an import like me then you may never get it regardless of if your medical insurance is fully paid up, as in every official release to date the shot has only been promised to Japanese nationals.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BBM plus BBME

Have any gov out there forgot why we haven’t got the BBM any more.

Because it was to secure and impossible to snoop.

Why can we have it back. ?

On top of that it used minimum amount of data. We are talki 50£ a month for international roaming in over 200countries!

Now all of you wanted iPhone (including myself after in a year of 2017 as I could get google maps on it )

No you pay way more for your phone and you pay way more for your bills.

End of a morning rant.

I get my teva sandals and get out.

3. donik111

BBM plus BBME

Have any gov out there forgot why we haven’t got the BBM any more.Because it was to secure and impossible to snoop.

Why can we have it back. ?

On top of that it used minimum amount of data. We are talki 50£ a month for international roaming in over 200countries! Yes the speeds it hit your your emails fine.

Now all (probably not) of you wanted iPhone (including myself in a year of 2017 as I could get google maps on it )

No you pay way more for your phone and you pay way more for your bills.

End of a morning rant.

I get my teva sandals and get out.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: BBM plus BBME

"Have any gov out there forgot why we haven’t got the BBM any more.Because it was to secure and impossible to snoop."

Use Signal.

The messaging app, not the toothpaste.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: BBM plus BBME

I tried to use signal on android, but it didn't work because it wanted that i let oogle pay services do me a proctology exam, i refused so it didn't work, is there a guide out there to make it work without having to down your pants?

4. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

I wonder if those Japanese government ministers communicate in Emoji, and if the Chinese spies can decrypt it?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like