back to article A lot of things will have changed with Biden as US president, but an easier ride for Huawei is not one of them

A change in occupancy at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue hasn't done much for Huawei's fortunes as the Biden administration looks set to toughen restrictions against the battered Chinese telecoms outfit. Per Reuters, the US government has amended existing license agreements to prohibit shipments of components that could be used in 5G …

1. Duncan Macdonald Silver badge

Cisco and/or NSA ?

Who is the prime leader to stop Huawei supplying network equipment ?

Is it Cisco because the Huawei equipment is better and cheaper or is it the NSA because equipment from Huawei does not come with the NSA backdoors preinstalled ?

1. RM Myers Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Cisco and/or NSA ?

Why do you think the NSA needs to plant any backdoors in Cisco's equipment? Given Cisco's security record, I'm sure the NSA, and every other country's similar agency, can get all the access they need without any direct help from Cisco. And no, I'm not joking, unfortunately.

2. VicMortimer
      Big Brother

Re: Cisco and/or NSA ?

Cisco is just pissed because they're not getting the contracts to continue the buildout on the Great Firewall any more.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New changes at the EPA?I'd suspected, but I didn't think they were after Huawei

Environmental Protection Agency

1200 Pennsylvania Ave, N.W.

Washington, DC 20460

1. martinusher Silver badge

OK, we all know the official address is 1600, not 1200, but its pretty irrelevant these days anyway -- the real address tends to be more "third razor wire topped security fence from the left....".

3. spold Silver badge

Meanwhile...

Xiaomi just won a temporary court injunction in New York blocking the Defence Department's attempt to block investment in them, on the basis that Xiaomi was likely to win a full reversal of the ban. Please don't downvote this, you may not like it, but it is a fact. Talk to the judge :-)

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: Meanwhile...

What nobody seems to be mentioning is the small fact that nobody in the US is actually making phones (and probably not even base station kit, its likely offshored). So we're in the weird situation of trying to control global competition from suppliers when we're not even in the game. This isn't a formula for long term success.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

freedom of information

Im on your side USA . Anyway anyone know any launch codes?

1. IT Poser
      Mushroom

Re: Anyway anyone know any launch codes?

DLG2209TVX

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

few expected to see a major reversal from Trump's policies on Huawei

WTF not?

Other than to protect , the non-existent, US builders of 5G equipment, there has never been a reason.

1. I understand that Huawei has shoddy code but so does everyone else.

2. They have security flaws but if CISCO can get away with this that's not a problem either.

3. They were building up a huge market share. That's capitalism for you.

4. China has some iffy foreign policy, just like the USA...

5. Internal policy? US not to good either and now the UK is aiming to ban free demonstrations too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021