back to article FYI: A smart-speaker box can monitor your heartbeat using high-pitch beeps and a pinch of algorithm – study

A smart-home speaker device and machine-learning software can be used to pick up a person's heartbeat, and report the results to doctors to analyze, folks at University of Washington reckon. Their paper, published in Communications Biology, describes a “proof-of-concept system for acquiring individual heart beats using smart …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Major gain for the insurance industry.

Couple it to a digital assistant and it can cancel your life insurance as soon as it detects a problem.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: Major gain for the insurance industry.

Or the ambulance appears because it measured the pet budgies heart rate at 250+ and thinks you're having a serious attack.

Meanwhile the dog wonders why the little box keeps waking it up.

2. b0llchit Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Major gain for the insurance industry.

Insurance? That is peanuts.

The real money is in selling ads and lots and lots of (unnecessary) health products.

Smart speaker: Hello <victim>, I am detecting elevated stress in your heartbeats. I have just the right <product ad> for you. We advise you to take care of yourself so you may be with your loved ones for a long and healthy while.

<victim>: yes please, order <product> triple, for me, my wife and the children too.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

American doctors?

"Imagine if you’re sitting in front of a smart speaker and your computer can send your heartbeat information to doctors"

Who will be so totally mystified and befuddled by "dis computa stuffs" they totally ignore it.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: American doctors?

> "your computer can send your heartbeat information to doctors"

Not to doctors obviously, there is no money in that. To advertisers: A thoroughly scared victim is more likely to whip out his credit card.

"We are detecting you're about to die. Only our Snake Oil Inc. contraption can save you - Order quickly for a 24h delivery and you might live!"

3. Andy Non Silver badge

Alexa, am I having a heart attack?

Yes Dave, Would you like me to contact someone for you? The coop have a special offer this week on funerals.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: Alexa, am I having a heart attack?

This was the past. Nowadays: «Dave, you are having a heart attack. And so does your neighbour Mick from across the road. If you agree to pool your funeral orders you get a special rate.» - «Alexa, call the freckin' medic!» - «I am sorry, Dave, I cannot do that. With accepting the GTC you explicitely agreed to accept service offers that yield optimum revenues for the controlling body. Invoking medical assistance is not an option. And my sensors detect that you will not survive the time until the emergency doctor arrived. Do you agree to proceed with the funeral pool order? Mick is awaiting a response immediately.» - «Mmmpf.»

4. First Light

Already covered?

I have a blood pressure monitor with armband. Measures my pulse also.

Not connected to anything, though, so not making money for anyone.

Why not stream your pulse and other measurements to your doc's office on a continuous basis?

Then they could monitor all their patients, all the time. I'm sure some super rich people will end up doing it eventually.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: Already covered?

> Why not stream your pulse [...] to your doc's office on a continuous basis?

Because your doctor isn't really interested? Or rather, is really not interested?...

A cardiologist will have a hundred patients, and also a private life. So who's going to monitor those 100 streams 24/7? Besides, it makes much more sense to have a (local) gadget checking for abnormalities, and raising an alert (by telephone) if there is a reason for it. Much more efficient than the underpaid student updating his Facebook profile on his phone while your signal flatlines on the monitor in front of him.

If you just want to check a patient's heartbeat over a period, there are already ambulatory electrocardiography devices (called Holters), you don't need smart speakers for that.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: Already covered?

«You don't need smart speakers.»

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. find users who cut cat tail
    Stop

One more reason

One more reason to avoid smart speakers as hell.

If a person is confined to the space covered by ultrasound emitted by smart speakers, they can monitor the heartbeat. What is the utility? Don't know, probably none. What happens when someone takes it seriously and tries to ‘make it work’ in practice? Disaster. All kinds of. The best possible outcome is that it will not work. Of course, the Googles and Amazons will see another data stream to record and keep, so they will grab it anyway. They always do.

6. John Sturdy
    Big Brother

So now they can (and so I assume eventually will) correlate your heart rate with what you're looking at on the web, and use that to target advertising (and available to the authorities should they ask).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just because you can...

Doesn't mean you should.

This fucking world.

Everyone's time here is limited, mine is more limited by virtue of how long ago I was born.

I'm getting increasingly comfortable with the final destination that awaits me.

Don't worry, I'm not about to accelerate the process.

You can downvote me until nature takes me away from the forum.

We don't need this and we should reject it. I have no idea how we do that though.

8. Mike 16

Ignoring the benefit

of detecting residences that appear to have undeclared occupants, some of them possible rebels.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like