back to article Dropbox absorbs DocSend to add analytics, secure links to document sharing

Dropbox is buying document tracking company DocSend for $165m, it announced on Tuesday. DocSend allows users to share and track documents by sending secure links that have built-in analytics i.e. you can see who is looking at documents and when. For Dropbox, the purchase will allow it to incorporate DocSend’s technology into …

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

I hadn't realised Dropbox was still around – I used to use it all the time, but then I got with another cloudy drive provider some years ago. It does appear to be waning in popularity, it seems, but I guess maybe that's why they're trying to buy themselves into niches/applications such as this.

1. steelpillow Silver badge
      FAIL

roots

Dropbox forgot its roots some years ago and took to snubbing Linux. Yet it cannot understand why big corporates' core techies no longer love it. It sowed the wind and now looks like it is reaping the whirlwind.

(Still, as long as the now-unsupported Linux client still works for me, I can't be ****ed to move elsewhere)

2. Diogenes8080

Dropbox market share

Fewer phishers and malware spammers using it as their document delivery platform of choice, perhaps?

These days it seems any free or free-to-trial resource will be abused, and many of the more obscure ones don't appear in the right classification of many security products.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022