back to article Cisco issues blizzard of end-of-life notices for Nexus 3K and 7K switches

Cisco has in recent days issued a blizzard of end-of-life and end-of-sale announcement for switches in its Nexus 3000 and Nexus 7000 ranges. By The Register’s count, the networking giant has announced that the 18 devices, listed below, across the ranges will soon be sent to the knacker's yard. The initial batch of notices …

1. msage
    Trollface

Why did you ask Intel? Surely Switchzilla would have been the better company to ask?

1. MiguelC Silver badge
      Coat

That's the problem with using the -zilla suffix just for 2 companies and not all across the board.

May I suggest, beyond Chipzilla and Switchzilla

Softzilla for MS

Addzilla for Google

P.I.zilla for FB

Cloudzilla for Amazon

Gardenwallzilla for Apple

and Evilzilla for Oracle

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Chipzilla?

Aren't they Netzilla, or the Great Stan of Networking?

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Times are hard.

Time to get in some planned obsolescence.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Times are hard.

I know. It's a dated concept. But I remember when network switches were just that, and were regarded as a buy once run forever until they broke, then replace with a new one.

I know these switches are modular, more functionally capable, and can handle much higher network bandwidth. And they're not switches any more. They're firewalls, routers, protocol translators and in some cases proxies and load balancers.

Bu it's nice thinking back to the simple times.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Times are hard.

With the 7K platform, you got 10 years of manufacturers support. In all likelihood you will get 5+ years of third party support as the channel will still have some end-of-life/second-hand kit present.

Beyond that flea-bay might get you a few more years. I mean my Cisco 7500 still fires up even if its a little slow now - the VIP6's need to be on a decent downhill slope to hit 1Gbps... But it warms the cockles of your heart. And the room. Most of the house actually.

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

product lifetime

"It's entirely possible that users could keep the 3K and 7K devices Cisco is killing off in production until Chipzilla stops providing security updates."

They could use them even longer if the vendor had taken the trouble to get the firmware right in the first place. "Security updates"? On a switch? Hardly the most complex of systems. Some of our network appliances are well over a decade old, and we find on investigation that they're actually more robust than later generations of kit even from the same vendors. Newer kit - more bugs to fix.

1. Down not across Silver badge

Re: product lifetime

As long as you don't lose your license or you may lose features, or find number of ports enabled reduced etc.

2. tip pc Silver badge

"more robust than later generations of kit even from the same vendors"

more robust yes, but full of discovered security holes. are you still using telnet on those?

3. cweinhold

Tell that to Accellion's FTA appliance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021