back to article SAP tells investors it plans to make €5bn RISE up into its clouds with lift and shift push

SAP aims to convert €5bn in revenue from support and software licences into cloud subscriptions over the next five years, according to the German software giant's CFO. Speaking to investors on a conference call with Morgan Stanley, Luca Mucic fleshed out how the so-called RISE with SAP programme, designed to "lift" on-premises …

1. AMBxx Silver badge
    FAIL

Life and shift

They make it sound so simple!! The reality is that HANA is such a big migration that it's a great opportunity to review the alternatives. If you're the vendor who's managed to lock-in your customers, you don't make this sort of mistake.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Life and shift

I'm aware of three or four migrations to the latest version of SAP (which includes) HANA and they all went well. The first one is over a year old and the customer is still very happy. I can't claim much credit for the success as I mostly only got involved in arranging hardware.

The key to getting it right seems to be to follow SAP advice with customisations/APIs.

As for going to the cloud... hmmm, a topic for another day perhaps :-)

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"A customer [..] will roughly pay twice the amount of existing maintenance"

Ain't it nice when you can print your own money ?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Lift and Shift?

More Cuff and Jail to me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like