back to article Chin up, weary key workers: Google's pushing out a Workspace for frontliners

Google is nudging its G Suite Workspace tools further toward a hybrid workplace with the addition of services aimed at frontline workers, among other tweaks and enhancements. Workspace Frontline, due to take a bow in the next few weeks, represents a realisation from Google that critical workers in industries including food …

1. LosD

I just want my Chrome for Android to be able to use passwords and links from both my personal and work accounts. Not necessarily at the same time, but at least in an easy-to-switch way...

(you can add multiple accounts to Chrome on Android, but only the first seem to really _do_ anything)

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Once again, a basic feature of the much derided WinPhone.

2. Dinanziame Silver badge

I think the Google way is to have a separate work profile on your phone. You end up with every app in double, but a great feature is that you can easily switch off the work profile on the weekend.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> "Hey, Google, when is IT going to roll out Teams?"

...because I need to know when to get my CV ready.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

And this will help them, how?

What benefit does this bring to low wage workers? More money? Better chances for promotion?

No? Then why the effing hell would they use it?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Masks worked

Yeh "give us your data, big data will save the day! Do it for 911,^h^h^h erm Covid!".

Just a reminder that, yet again, masks work, closing mass meeting events works, hand sanitizer works. Thailand has controlled its third outbreak and is now opening up again. Peak was just over a thousand a day, most provinces are at zero and opening, MASKS ARE STILL BEING WORN, hands are still being sanitized, and people are still doing the infrared temperature check, so if there are other unknown clusters out there, they won't spread.

The one time I had to use the Morchana app (the Thai tracking app), I was lent a phone with the app already installed and set up for someone else, because I do not carry a phone, let alone one with Google spyware on it! That has been the one and only time I ever had to use that app. You just don't see people snapping those QR codes everywhere, but EVERYONE has their mask and uses the sanitizer. Everyone does the stuff that works because it works.

Companies wants to sell their high tech big data boondongles, but its the low tech basics that work. Front line workers need more mask on more customers and less of this bullshit.

5. hoola Silver badge

Google ~~~ Priavacy

The only privacy that Google care about is if someone else is trying to get your data from them.

The will continue to suck up as much as the possible can from any source that is available, legitimate or otherwise. Some of the online tools like Google Classroom are not bad in the current situation, however I simply don't trust them to be sucking every last byte of information out that they can.

Microsoft with Teams and their tools are possibly a little better, we don't really know as they also appear to be going down the same route with all the diagnostic metrics being collected.

At least Facebook has not come up with on online learning platform yet, that would be just beyond frightening.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

workplace... erm, workspace

I was confused by all this... 'surely they're talking about Faceborg?!?'

Shouldn't FB be trying to sue the pants off the Big G, or vice versa, because their collaboration tools have similar names... Workplace and Workspace

(McDonalds and the like mobilize their lawyers for much less)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022