back to article Chinese businessman plotted with GE insider to steal transistor secrets, say Feds

A Chinese businessman has been accused by the US government of trying to steal silicon secrets from General Electric (GE). Chi Lung Winsman Ng, 64, who lives in Hong Kong, has been charged with conspiring to pilfer sensitive information on the American giant’s silicon carbide MOSFET transistors, a technology he told potential …

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

We had someone arrested at AMD trying to steal product for China. In the '90s. So yes, "more than a decade".

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Meh

“Sentenced to 18 months behind bars”

“He had been in custody for five years”

So, six and a half years.

Is time already spent not counted?

3. MrReynolds2U
    WTF?

Who needs proof anymore?

Am I the only one bothered by this statement?

The FBI stresses however that “we have no evidence that there was an illegal MOSFET technology transfer to any Chinese companies, including the company that Ng and his co-conspirator were trying to start.”

What are they hoping to achieve with this case, without proof?

1. Sanctimonious Prick
      Angel

Re: Who needs proof anymore?

I saw it too... but thought I probably didn't read it correctly, coz, like, the FBI can't charge someone with a crime if the evidence of a crime does not exist, right?

Does the FBI have non-special agents?

"Hi. I'm FBI Standard Agent Fells."

"And I'm FBI Special Agent Morris."

"Pfft! I'm FBI Super Special Agent Dick."

"Guys! Guys! .... girls! I'm FBI Superior Super Special Agent Acosta."

OK. I'm being silly now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nope - read the article. The charge was conspiring. Just as you can be charged with conspiring to rob, kidnap, murder - the crime hasn't happened. So you can be charged with conspiring to murder but there will be no evidence that anyone was ever killed.

1. Trollslayer
        Thumb Up

You beat me to it.

3. helkiah
      FAIL

That sentence merely suggests the FBI were successful in stopping the transfer of stolen material. It does not suggest there is no evidence for an attempted crime.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like