back to article Lenovo's ThinkPad line goes under the knife: X13 models look a bit taller but worry not, the 'nipples' are still intact

Lenovo is refreshing a large chunk of its ThinkPad line, upgrading specs for its mobile workstations-class devices and redesigning the X13 and X13 Yoga portables. With the X13 and X13 Yoga, Lenovo has adjusted the aspect ratio to a slightly taller 16:10, rather than the squat 16:9 ratio used previously. Lenovo is a bit of a …

1. hitmouse

I would definitely like to see the 3:2 aspect ratio trend continue : I read more documents than I watch movies on my laptops. I suspect that those wanting to watch movies in bed do so with a tablet/phablet these days. Even so, I can only pray that we quickly get to having 15-16" screens with a resolution that that allow true A4/Letter 100% presentation.

1. quxinot Silver badge
      IT Angle

I'm just thrilled that it took two paragraphs to explain the difference in aspect ratio to the readers of an IT-themed website.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

even though I don't understand why in one of those it says that the screen being taller helps with side-by-side applications, maybe it was meant to be top-to-bottom? :)

2. IGotOut Silver badge

It's one reason I still use a fantastic Dell Ultrasharp monitor for my desktop. No stupid 16:9 format.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Oddly enough, my Dell laptop from around 2010 has a 16:10 screen, and it was after I bought it that I noticed 16:10 screens were becomm8bg almost impossible to find (outside of a MacBook, of course).

Dell laptop is still fit for purpose, but I've welcomed news of 3:2 and 16:10 laptops trickling in over last couple of years.

Huawei, Microsoft, Lenovo - stand up and take a bow. My apologies to any other 16:10 / 4:3 vendors I've missed.

Other exciting news in the world of laptop screens: Samsung Dispay is ramping up production of OLED screens for laptop OEMs. Meanwhile, Apple is rumoured to be delivering black blacks and high contrast to laptops soon with Mini LED displays.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I would definitely like to see the 3:2 aspect ratio trend continue"

Yes, the gradual move back to 4:3 (ish) after the short dalliance with "widescreen"

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

I'd like to see laptops start up when first turned on, or after a factory restore reboot, and ask the user; "Do you want to install Windows 10 or Linux?" and then set it up in the environment chosen.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Then which flavour of Linux? What about Android? ChromeOS? And what's BSD done to upset you?

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Those who would get the most from Linux don't need such hand-holding. Don't they carry thumbsticks containing their preferred distribution and favourite applications?

At the same time it might confuse some Windows users and they'll start asking where Office and Netflicks has gone. Calls that Lenovo's support lines don't need.

[No great advantage for small percentage of users, delayed start and faff for majority of users.]

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Stop

That'll happen as soon as distros offer the same kind of incentives to install their stuff as Microsoft and bloatware companies do. It certainly won't be demand-led because the demand isn't there: Dell tried it for a while and dropped it due to lack of demand.

And that's before you get into the problem of the drivers…

1. Roland6 Silver badge

https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/press-releases/lenovo-launches-linux-ready-thinkpad-and-thinkstation-pcs-preinstalled-with-ubuntu/

Not sure of what the real driver is, although the Chinese domestic market might be a factor.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Aside: Currently none are listed as being available to purchase on Lenovo.com.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Regardless of which OS it ships with, I don't see any harm in including a folder or partition with Linux drivers, just to tide a penguin over til they can get online for the latest / preferred drivers.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

There's not a problem with it but it doesn't make a lot of commercial sense: maintaining a list of tested drivers.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Don't forget that Microsoft still offers discounts if only MS Windows is pre-installed.

4. John Jennings Bronze badge

These are predominantly corporate machines

Meaning that the real majority will be rebuilt with the corporate image as soon as they come out of the box.

I am not sure why Lenovo et al bother to stick on the other tat that gets installed on these devices out of the box.

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Fair enough - yes I agree with the down votes and the comments pointing out the flaws are pretty accurate too. I still think it might be a good option to a degree.

3. Fazal Majid

I hope it takes them less time from announcement to actual availability than it did for the previous Ryzen, some of which took more than 6 months. Also, keep in mind not all mobile Ryzen 5000 are zen3 based, some are still zen2 with significantly lower IPC scores.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>Also, keep in mind not all mobile Ryzen 5000 are zen3 based, some are still zen2

Well given it seems the only AMD variant of the Thinkpad L15 & P14s that Lenovo have been selling use the Zen2 Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U (*), which according to some reviews "destroys the Core i7-10810U" and "Intel have nothing in the pipeline"; I would suggest if you need to buy now, not to worry, just grab an AMD version with 16GB RAM. If you are looking to buy later in the year (ie. you really want a Ryzen 5800x series Zen3 CPU) then obviously it is something to lookout for and factor in.

1. Tom 38 Silver badge

I'd love to see a zen3 laptop with thunderbolt 3, but I think that might take waiting until USB4 is mainstream.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For germaphobes

Don't mention the wore! ;)

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: For germaphobes

Whore? War? War whore?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and for those who are into REAL ibm/lenovo experience ;)

(but don't get too excited, it's not exactly one-click amazon prime delivery ;)

geoff.greer.fm/2019/03/04/thinkpad-x210/

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Re: and for those who are into REAL ibm/lenovo experience ;)

They are touting an X330 as well. That would be The Best Laptop In The World.

6. HildyJ Silver badge
    Boffin

Where's my tablet?

I'm still hoping that Lenovo will resurrect their 10" Tablet. Mine died years ago but I remember it fondly.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lenovo's offering seem to be very thin on the ground at the moment.

For some reason most of their current business desktops still have VGA ports and lack of dual DP or HDMI to actually make them usable in 2021.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021