back to article Microsoft Teams still on mute: Vid conf system crashes, 'potential networking issue' blamed

Microsoft’s video conferencing service Teams has suffered a massive outage causing widespread disruption as people in the United States logged in to start work on Wednesday. Problems started at just as the American East Coast working day began and have escalated further, with complaints pouring in from across the country. “We …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We're investigating an issue in which users .... may be experiencing delays when receiving chat messages within Microsoft Teams,”

Isn't that a normal day?

Sometimes I don't even get them.

2. tip pc Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Networking problem!!

"We've identified a potential networking issue that may be causing the problem. We’re working to confirm our findings while simultaneously exploring the optimal solution to remediate impact"

why is it always a networking issue?

something happened and we have no idea what it was so must be a network issue, even if its a problem on the server, problem with dns, dhcp, automation etc etc etc, always a sodding network issue.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Networking problem!!

even if its a problem on the server, problem with dns, dhcp,

Surely DNS and DHCP are "networking issues"?

M.

2. gobaskof Silver badge
      Joke

The problem is Teams appears to be on the Net, but it is not Working. Hence, networking.

1. TRT Silver badge

More of a notworking problem.

3. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Linux

Because networking implies the physical layer which is outside the scope of Microsoft - they can't be blamed for failing kit made by someone else.

Or at least that's how their PR team hope the public will interpret it.

1. gerdesj Silver badge
        Windows

When you've run out of network to blame, you start on the "sophisticated state actors".

3. Dave 15 Silver badge

Maybe

They should swap to writing on Android.... Then the call won't work on the odd occasions the keyboard does

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Clearly not affecting everyone

I didn't notice anything, and this is the first I've heard of the disruption, so apparently none of my colleagues did either. I'm in North America (at the Stately Manor in Michigan at the moment), and my colleagues are all over the world. None of which sheds any light on the situation, of course.

I don't much like Teams, but the chat and meeting functions have been pretty reliable for us.

5. TRT Silver badge

Teams is pretty awful. The whole Microsoft 365 thing is a mashup where some functions cross application boundaries and others don’t. Where unexpected, illogical and inconsistent restrictions apply because... they just do. Channels, Teams, Streams, Sites... Everything has a chat function and almost every chat function has a file repository but those repositories are unique and putting something there usually involves downloading it to your desktop first.

Private channels have their own rules. You can have a project board in a private channel but you can have a Trello. It’s crazy. It has got better but it’s more beta now than it was. Not polished at all. Inelegant. Very Microsoft.

Oh and new look outlook? Hideous.

1. Strahd Ivarius Bronze badge

One of the things I like with MS365 is the frequent announcement like this one:

"We’re rolling out a new comments experience in Word with improved keyboard shortcuts as well as improved @mentions and notifications. This experience unifies how comments work across Word, Excel, and PPT. "

So you have ONE (huge) team working on Office and it is not even capable of setting sharing code between applications? Did you guys ever heard of GitHub?

How to you even expect to have the same user experience between the various apps that are part of the whole MS365?

And when will I have the ability to setup the signature in one mail app and have it replicated to all the devices and apps I am logged in?

It was first requested about 20 years ago...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021