back to article Microsoft tells Biden administration to adopt Australia’s pay-for-news plan

Microsoft has said the USA should copy Australia’s plan to force Google and Facebook to pay for links to news content and suggested that doing so will help improve social cohesion and strengthen democracy. But Google has fired back with a statement asserting that Microsoft’s motives are impure. “Of course they'd be eager to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Collective bargaining for corporations but not for the plebs.

Says it all.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Surprised Google hasn't gone for it

Google could decide to negotiate only for news that it likes and not bother to link to anything else. It could pay more to news outlets that consistently make Google look good. Once dependence is achieved they could turn off the money tap and offer to buy the failing business.

The only reason I can think of for the delay is that if you are going to be evil it helps if there is a law in place demanding that you be evil. You can then be thoroughly evil for years until the law gets repealed and as a bonus you cannot get fined for doing what the law required you to do.

1. Lorribot

Re: Surprised Google hasn't gone for it

Actually the Austrailian law prohibits Google from censoring or not using certain news sites, basically its got to agree pay everyone and search everyone, rather than those that pay more for higher ranking or it likes, so it most certainly can't pick and choose (though you try and prove that it is when it is).

These are the best bits of the law, the payment piece is nice and will help fund proper journalism that is watched over by proper regulators rather than most of the nonsense that passes for news these days on social media and You Tube.

3. Khaptain Silver badge

Thumbs up for Bill

For the first time in my life, I agree with Bill, IF his motives are truly honest....

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Thumbs up for Bill

Err Bill Gates doesn't work at Microsoft.

4. Khaptain Silver badge

Thumbs up for Bill (maybe)

I agree with Bill, if and only if his motives are not motivated by corporate greed.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Thumbs up for Bill (maybe)

There wasn't a 'Bill' mentioned in the article. If you're inferring that Bill Gates had a hand in Microsoft's involvement, please link to a source.

5. don't you hate it when you lose your account

Ummm

This looks like a bill to help the old monopoly (big news corps) get back at the new monopoly (big tech). The devil will be in the small print.

6. guyr

Despite Microsoft pouring billions into loss-making media ventures, creating new options for advertisers inside Xbox games and boasting annual search-driven ad revenue in the billions, Smith blamed others for the media’s problems.

None of which has anything to do with news. I'm not a shrill for Microsoft, Google or Facebook, but CNet could help understanding by focusing on the topic at hand.

1. Dinanziame Silver badge
      Trollface

CNet could help understanding by focusing on the topic at hand

Sir, this is an Arby's The Register

7. Dave 126 Silver badge

More crumbs of context

ABC, Australia's national broadcaster, roughly equivalent to the BBC, is also being starved of funds.

The ABC also had its offices raised by police for 'national security reasons' after publishing allegations of war crimes by Australian troops in Afghanistan. A News Corp journalistic also had her flat raided.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51526607

8. Howard Sway Silver badge

help improve social cohesion and strengthen democracy

If I wanted to try and do those things, my solution would not be "give more money to Rupert Murdoch".

But then again, it wouldn't be "give more money to Mark Zuckerberg" either.

1. Lorribot

Re: help improve social cohesion and strengthen democracy

Stop reading his paper or watching Sky and stop using Facebook, Whatsapp and Instagram etc, ditch your GMail account, stop useing chrome, use and add blocker (be nice if I could just block adds from companies I disapprove of like Google and Facebook).

If all the people who feel these corps are bad stopped using them they may actually do something about it.

There are alternatives, some of them are even better.

People are too scared of social exclusion but these companies all started because people were looking for something different and they become must have or use in order to get on.

9. keith_w

The Canadian government (leftish) is planning the same type of law.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only the American government and people think Canadian politics is "to the left." Your left most parties are to the extreme right of our leftmost; you are, effectively, fascists no matter WHICH American party we are talking about. Don't panic about the term "fascist" - it refers to governments that prop up their industries and corporations to the detriment of society. It does NOT mean you're about to invade someone.

10. Robert Grant

Thank you

Between this article and the Nominet one, today is a good journalism day from our friends across the Pond.

11. ColonelClaw

"at a time when left-of-centre media outlets already stands accused of wilful falsifications and bias"

Er, pretty sure the right-wing media outlets (Fox News etc) make all the others look like complete amateurs when it comes to wilfully making up complete bollocks?

1. Bernard

Yes, was this a mistake or is the writer a QAnoner?

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

That doesn't mean the leftist ones aren't accused of it, which is what the article said.

12. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Let's move onward to the past.

Regulating search engine manipulation would be less effective than attempting to regulate theft because these days it's not always illegal to steal something and sell it when you make a lot of money.

13. naive

Big Tech voted for.....

Biden !!!

So don't hold your breath waiting for the Biden administration to even point their pinky at them.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Using the Capital riot as justification for this doesn’t make sense, I’m not aware of any news media or former President for that matter who can be held accountable for that event.

The idea of www links being monetised by mandate is potentially a threat to the ability to access or publish information online. I’d rather these businesses come to some private agreement for sharing revenue without affecting anyone else. A social media website could ensure that all external links to specific domains include an extra query that can be used for tracking ad revenue.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Dude, obviously the riot never would have happened if Bing were more popular. Also free ponies!

15. Mike 16

Original Big Bad?

How quickly we forget. _Way_ before MSFT there were the likes of IBM, AT&T, RCA, General Electric, etc. Not even counting the railroads...

1. trindflo Bronze badge

Re: Original Big Bad?

Or the original robber barons along the Rhine.

16. HereAndGone

The Very Premise is Bogus

This is couched in terms that suggest Google is stealing from news organizations. To those whose knowledge of internet technology ends at "Push the Magic Button", it may seem this way but MS and others are simply pandering to ignorance.

Google is providing traffic "TO" the news sites that they would likely never receive otherwise. If any site feels that they are being somehow cheated, they can simply put a No Google Bot Tag on their page. Google honors these tags and will not index and link if requested not to by the tag.

What's happening is the news organizations love the traffic provided by Google Links, so they don't tag Google out because they want the traffic. Now they turn around and want Google to pay them for providing traffic services they want for free.

Imagine what would happen to the very foundation of the internet if everyone had to cross pay everyone for linking!

To any news site complaining, add a Google Bot Blocking Tag and go about your business. Trying to force Google (or anyone) to pay you for providing services you want is insane!

Hmmm ...... maybe the news sites should pay me for reading their site. That's the ticket, click bait payment, what could possibly go wrong!

17. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

I can't see why Google threatened to shut off all search services (in Australia) when they could just prevent links to whatever Australian newspapers were required (all if necessary). Brinksmanship is generally not a good strategy when emotions are running high.

1. Aitor 1

Obvious to me

Australia wants the services and wants to be paid to receive services. It seems reasonable not to do so.

2. Barrie Shepherd

"I can't see why Google threatened to shut off all search services (in Australia) when they could just prevent links to whatever Australian newspapers were required (all if necessary)."

The Australian Law prohibits Google from selectively blocking links to any or all Australian or other countries News sites.

The Law also has a very broad definition of what is News and what is a News source;

Core news content means content that reports, investigates or explains:

(a) issues or events that are relevant in engaging Australians in public debate and in informing democratic decision-making; or

(b) current issues or events of public significance for Australians at a local, regional or national level.

Covered news content means content that is any of the following:

(a) core news content;

(b) content that reports, investigates or explains current issues or events of interest to Australians.

News business means:

(a) a news source; or

(b) a combination of news sources.

News source means any of the following, if it produces, and publishes online, news content:

(a) a newspaper masthead;

(b) a magazine;

(c) a television program or channel;

(d) a radio program or channel;

(e) a website or part of a website;

(f) a program of audio or video content designed to be distributed over the internet.

The ACCC has structured the Law so that Google has no wriggle room, they either comply or totally remove Search. If Google were to, somehow, run a 'No News Search' application but accidently dropped a BBC article about something like Brexit into a 'no news' search they would probably be in violation of the Law and up for a big fine. Also the Law calls for arbitration but not as we know it. The Arbiter can only decide between a $ offer Google may make against a $ request from the beneficial News groups - the Arbiter cannot change the $ values!

18. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Australia’s centre-right government

AKA News Corp

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gee, what is Microsoft going on about? I've never searched for a news article in my life! I go to the news websites I read on a daily basis, same as I used to with a newspaper subscription.

Facebook's "news" I tend to block because it is full of garbage posts from ranting Trump-bots and the like. Most of their links are to paywall sites anyhow, and I am NOT paying some media company $10/month just to read ONE article. :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like