back to article A Microsoft bork at the heart of The Oracle? Whatever next?

The enmity between Microsoft and Oracle is the stuff of legend, but it appears The Beast of Redmond may have had the last laugh, at least over its namesake. You may be picturing databases-at-dawn, but today's bork centres on Windows badness within The Oracle... er, shopping centre in Reading, UK. Spotted by Register reader …

1. Tweetiepooh

3 minutes before a meeting

is nothing, what's worse is informing you as you shut down to go home that it is doing patching and to not turn off your PC.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: 3 minutes before a meeting

What is also irritating is being told that when you want to go home, being told that it will take well over a day to install said patch. I have been told this by XP. I think it actually said over 10,000 minutes, but can't be sure as it was nearly 20 years ago.

IIRC, I was lucky, and it didn't take anywhere near that, an 10 minutes later, the PC restarted, patch installed.

1. Steve K

, but can't be sure as it was nearly 20 years ago.

...and it's still going? You should really go home now.

1. gv

With the current lockdown, it feels like I've been at home for nearly 20 years.

2. Blackjack Silver badge

Windows 10 likes to pretend every computer is a laptop and so it has battery in case of power problems; hint, that's not the case.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This must be a regular thing. I took a picture of the same window back in Feb 2020, back in the days when I was allowed out in the streets (just forgot to send it in to El Reg). Still have the picture (only the offer was a 3 for 2 on something).

3. BenM 29 Silver badge
    Joke

NO relation to Big Red?

To quote BBC Berkshire (and coincidentally., I am sure, Wikipedia).. "The Oracle itself takes its name from a 17th Century workhouse"

Shurely shome relation between Big Red and a workhouse? (dishcussh... anshwer on page 94. pleash. hic)

4. Captain Scarlet
    Facepalm

What do they expect with a consumer version

Most large companies have MS Volume Licenses Agreements (or whatever its called these days), for heaven sakes just take the pain of integrating so you don't look like a prat when the consumer version will nag in this way.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: What do they expect with a consumer version

Or at the very least apply Group Policy controls somehow. There are plenty of ways of deploying these, none of them overly hard and it's plainly a networked system therefore there are no excuses. Well, no good excuses anyway...

1. storner
        Pirate

Even worse, a display sign controller should *never* have Internet access.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

The issue is more that the Internet shouldn't have access to the display sign controller. A device can be very easily and cheaply located behind a locked down hardware firewall. Alternatively it could easily be on a private network with a secure backhaul to update servers or even to Microsoft's servers.

There's nothing there that indicates the network topology.

2. needmorehare

Or just use registry editor and be done with it, just like people do with sconfig.cmd

5. richardcox13

> The enmity between Microsoft and Oracle

Given, a little east of The Oracle (shopping centre) Oracle and Microsoft's offices face each other in a business park.

(A bit like Dell and HP in Bracknell.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thames Valley Park

Is where Oracle and Microsoft face each other across the landscape.

The story (allegedly) is that Oracle bought the land when they decided to move from Bracknell where they inhabited a big building in the middle of a roundabout and lots of other buildings in the town. They built their buildings and, due to rampant land price inflation that was happening at the time, sold the plot that MS is on for the same amount as they paid for the whole area.

May be true... May not

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like