back to article Same old complexity beneath Windows 10 Cloud Config means it's unlikely to compete with the likes of Chrome OS

Microsoft has introduced a cloud configuration for Windows 10 with the claim of "easy to manage cloud endpoints," but complex manual steps and interaction with InTune management means it is unlikely to match Google's Chrome OS for ease of deployment. A post from Microsoft 365 corporate VP Jared Spataro explains that Cloud …

1. 0laf Silver badge
    Flame

Complexity?

From a compliance and security pov M365 takes complexity and obsfucation to a new level.

It makes coming up with the Grand Unified Theory of physics seem "a bit tricky" in comparison.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Re: Complexity?

True Windows 10 Remote (Cloud Hosted) Desktop - a la On-Live streaming for Win 7 at the time - that crashed and burned and was knobbled by vested interests would have taken much of this shite away... and tied into the subscription model.

2. CajunMoses

Re: Complexity?

A little bit of dos and a little bit of dat.

2. nxnwest

Oxymorons

"easy" and "intuitive". Two of my favorite one-word oxymorons.

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

"suggested config"

The suggested config seems to give MS effectively total control over user endpoints. Is this a really good idea, particularly as AD is remote as well?

Quite part from merely transferring the source of hazards from your employees to those of MS (over whom you have less control), what happens when your internet connection goes down?

Both these concerns are intrinsic to "cloud services" and have not really been solved to date. But when in addition provider control penetrates this deep, there's a whole new set of issues to consider.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft can't seem to make up their mind

Onto one hand, they want to offer a pleasant, flexible and rich computing experience (same as Apple) and on the other they want to offer highest security by locking down and removing all of the things I've mentioned before (something as a modern, XXIth century, mouse driven version of a 3270 terminal emulator). All this for the exact same high price.

5. CrackedNoggin

Might as well lease the hardware and make it a grand slam.

6. Steve K Silver badge

Block browser password managers by default?

Why would you block browser password managers by default?

Even if these are for business-only purposes, there must be an assumption here of AzureAD SSO in that case. Not all business apps will support this, so either people will have spreadsheets/notepad documents on their desktop/in Teams Files (SharePoint library), or Post-It notes will make a comeback for storing passwords..

Having said that, at the moment in lock-down the Post-It approach is probably relatively secure if working from home, as long as they aren't visible from your webcam!!;-)

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Re: Block browser password managers by default?

All tech companies are massive bell ends, why else?

They’re led by the nose by their marketing depts and all rational thinking disappears, the only thought bubble happening is “I like money” and normally accompanied with some standard drooling

7. Archivist

A blinkered future

I respectfully disagree that it is unlikely to compete with the likes of Chrome OS. Indeed I think it will succeed. My reasoning:

Almost all corporate IT departments are filled with managers and technicians who have cut their teeth with MS. It's easier (and perceived as less risky) to follow the MS trail.

I've worked for an organisation where:

If it hasn't got an HP badge it's not a computer.

If it hasn't got the latest MS OS, it's not viable.

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Re: A blinkered future

Most of these wankers are in love with microsoft, they can keep stuffing their responsibilities over to the cloud and when the shit hits the fan, just like the councils, will just point fingers and never take responsibility.

Most corporates if they could, would absolutely ditch IT, those expensive janitors

2. CajunMoses

Re: A blinkered future

❝I've worked for an organisation where:

If it hasn't got an HP badge it's not a computer.

If it hasn't got the latest MS OS, it's not viable.❞

This made me feel so sad for you that I almost burst out in tears.

8. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Wont be long now, some twat will convince everybody we gotta subscribe to the cloud to get oxygen

9. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Does anyone get the impression the corporate world behaves more like predator than a business?

10. captain veg

> "A major airline told us they are looking to empower frontline workers by deploying devices with a simple configuration that are easy to manage and swap out," according to the configuration document.

> The suggested configuration blocks the Microsoft Store app, and does not give users local admin rights on their PCs. Settings block user access unless all required apps are installed, and do not permit the user to reset their device. Windows automatic update is turned on with a deferral period of zero days.

This is obviously some strange usage of the word "empower" that I wasn't previously aware of.

-A.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021