back to article AI-generated pixelated photo of AOC in a bikini pulled from paper highlighting danger of AI-generated pics

Today's artificial intelligence can autocomplete a photo of someone's face, generating what the software predicts is the rest of their body. As an academic paper pointed out, though, these neural networks are biased, presumably from their training data. That means when you show this code a woman's face, it's likely to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TLDR; Bikini pic promised...

... no bikini pic :-(

The standards in internet journalism have fallen... I guess it's back to 4chan

2. Sampler

Politicians must love this

And other public figures. Anything they've done in the past comes back to haunt them and it's "oh, no, that's a deepfake" and they carry on, reputation untarnished.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No bikini pictures of Mitch McConnell?

Only seems fair.

1. LogicGate Silver badge

Re: No bikini pictures of Mitch McConnell?

This is the closest I could get.

Mind you, it might be a fake:

http://westwoodenabler.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/mcconnell-4-507x381.jpg

4. TheMeerkat

Your “unbiased” is another man’s biased.

5. Ben Tasker

> Although controversial HR startup HireVue canned a facial analysis feature in its software that assesses the potential performance of job candidates

Who the feck thought that was a good idea, even as a gimmicky unique-selling-point? It's basically digital phrenology.

The thing with facial recognition (and by extension, analysis) is: it's an amazingly clever tool, and one that we as a species seem intent on proving we're not nearly responsible enough to actually wield.

Mind you, I always thought the habit of putting your mugshot on your CV was weird as hell anyway.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

> habit of putting your mugshot on your CV

It's so the boss can decide if he wants to hire you for his afternoon stress relief or not...

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Holmes

Mugshot

I was reduced to a giggling fit at one place I worked, when a users outlook profile flashed up his face. Which after I had recovered sufficiently, I then had to explain to Canadian colleagues.

The user in question had decided his profile pic should be a very mullet haired Pat Sharp!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

"recreated the voice of a dead singer"

Creepy. Especially since she took her life. Monetize the dead?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: "recreated the voice of a dead singer"

Think of the opportunities for Elvis, Satchmo, Marilyn Monroe.

7. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The look

Personally, I think that the example highlights the kind of thing that is possible and that will be done. The history of the depiction of women is long and complicated but, while there is no doubt that much of is sexualised (both nakedness and lack of it), there's also the observation that women do pay more attention to how they and other women look, in all kinds of situations, than men do. Nature vs. nurture, of course, but the correlation is long-standing. The aesthetic of the look is one description I've come across, where it relates closely with what people are thinking about each other – the kind of complicated thinking that my little brain doesn't seem to engage in very often – but that's by the by. Fan fiction is one of the areas most studied in this respect.

1. Cederic Silver badge

Re: The look

I suspect most men would prefer to see women not in a bikini. It's a garment that shows too much to tease while revealing too little to titillate.

8. very angry man

you need to go out side more

That means when you show this code a woman's face, it's likely to autocomplete her in a bikini or other revealing clothes. White people tend to be shown holding tools while Black people are pictured holding weapons.

where i live this is quite normal, and southern usa

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Meh

Re: you need to go out side more

Are black people not more likely to be from a working class background, and therefore holding tools?

And white people more likely to be working for the police / military, and therefore holding guns?

Note, this is a statistical observation of the impacts of structural racism, not a suggestion that certain people are more or less suitable for these positions.

1. Naselus

Re: you need to go out side more

Have to say, watching the BLM footage from last summer, it seemed mostly to be the white vigilantes and cops holding weapons tbh.

9. genghis_uk

Sexualised pictures being used for algorithm training is nothing new.

Anyone in video development knows Lena Soderberg (or if not they certainly know the 'Lenna' image)

10. Steve Button Silver badge

Had to Google for AOC

Wasn't sure how you would put a bikini onto a computer monitor. Now I know it's a human person, but not really any the wiser.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like