back to article Digital burglars break into the Australian Securities and Investments Commission

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has admitted one of its servers was accessed without sanction and may have been digitally pawed by miscreants. The country's company and financial services regulator became aware of the incident on 15 January, which it said was "related to Accellion software used by …

1. trist

Outdated infrastructure...

The ASIC website looks like it's from 1999. The security is probably last century also.

1. TimMaher Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Outdated infrastructure...

I thought ASIC referred to a type of comms. chip set.

Always worrying when you get one of those antique web sites.

1. trist

I think that the acronym came about around the time of TGS (The Great Three Letter Acronym Shortage) in the mid 90s.

Not many people know, for instance, that the real reason the 3GPP was formed was not to promote open standards but to homogenize acronyms and to promote higher order acronyms. Hence the four letter acronym 3GPP.

1. Danny 2 Silver badge

FLA is a TLA.

2. Danny 2 Silver badge

Application-specific integrated circuit

Any sort of custom chip. Fun!

2. IGotOut Silver badge

It's ok. The government won't pay the ransom!

The crooks will just use your credit info instead.

3. Diogenes
    FAIL

Asic

I always thought it stood for asylum for shysters and international criminals.

Miss submitting a form as a sole trader and the sky falls on you. Rip shareholders off, no worries, a fake divorce(Alan Bond) no watching the airports (Skase), seize thedrive from a surveillance camera and your target disappears https://www.9news.com.au/national/melissa-caddick-still-alive-police-hopeful-of-tracking-dover-heights-mother-down/33f5e3c0-dd19-42b0-92de-f50735d62a3f

4. Potemkine! Silver badge

I wonder if we should not consider that by default any system connected to a network with an external connection is compromised.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021