back to article Bye bye, said Trump admin to Huawei: You give a cheque-ie to our techies, but there's no licence to ply

As parting gifts go, this one ranks pretty low. With less than three days until the inauguration of Joe Biden, the Trump Administration has reportedly revoked several licences that would allow Huawei to buy US-made tech, and plans to deny over 150 pending requests. According to Reuters, a portion of the licences relate to …

1. Steve K Silver badge
    Pint

My compliments to the Headlines Dept!

My compliments to the Headlines Dept!

Getting close to "Super Cali go ballistic".....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Generational Geographic

Great title, as long as your a UK pensioner with a penchant for American songs that didn't reach #1 in the UK charts back in the days. Otherwise its just confusing.

What's a record player? a record? a cheque? Granddad?

Anyway...

Huawei didn't die, China didn't "do Trump a favor though" like he asked them to, and in the time since the last story like this came out, my favorite tablet, the Alldocube iPlay20 has gone through 4 iterations and is currently the Alldocube iPlay 40, using a Unisoc T618 processor. Way faster than the Samsung S6 lite and A7, with twice the RAM and twice the storage, and a lot cheaper (almost half the price despite paying for the active stylus).

Given they've gone iPlay20 , iPlay20 Pro, iPlay30, iPlay20 Pro, iPlay40, in about 6 months ... I guess if I wait 6 weeks it'll be the iPlay40 *pro* have 12 GB of RAM instead of 8GB and 256 GB Flash instead of 128!

Blink and you've missed it. How exactly can you compete with product cycles of weeks instead of years?

Huawei, sadly, still ships with Google Mobile Services, because their dumbass resellers keep after-market installing it onto the tablet, which is annoying if your trying to get clean tablets. Alldocube has only the Google crapware to disable, Huawei has both its Baidu set and the the Google set the dealers slap on.

The world keeps turning. The floaty orange turd is flushing.

1. Roger Kynaston Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Generational Geographic

> ...a Unisoc T618 processor....

You better hope that they don't upgrade that to the T1000!

2. b0llchit Silver badge
    Stop

Sabotage can come from either side

Just wait until China will sabotage the US supply-chain. China has been consistently taking grabs at the raw materials on a world-wide scale. The geopolitical might that China has been building should not be underestimated.

Soon they may cut the supply of raw materials that the US needs for its technologies and restrict it to non-US buyers only. Then, China will stipulate that none of its raw-materials may find way into US build technology. Lets see how long they will survive in the US?

1. veti Silver badge

Re: Sabotage can come from either side

I assume that will happen at some point. But not as retaliation. If the Chinese had that sort of whip hand over the US, they wouldn't hesitate to use it anyway.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>If the Chinese had that sort of whip hand over the US, they wouldn't hesitate to use it anyway.

I suspect the CCP's response isn't set by the need for a positive headline in this evening's news

2. Yes Me Silver badge
        Flame

"If the Chinese had that sort of whip hand over the US, they wouldn't hesitate to use it"

No, the Chinese are not that stupid. They understand about international supply chains, which the tRump regime doesn't.

Hopefully the Biden Administration will be more sensible about this. There was never any need to turn the trade dispute with China into a trade war, where everybody is the loser. A lot of these unfair restrictions, based on lies about security, should be removed ASAP after Wednesday this week.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Agree, Chinese are too smart. They have enough stables and geniuses galore.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

No problem we just re-colonise Africa, plenty of minerals in places with no army

1. DiViDeD Silver badge

we just re-colonise Africa

Sorry, too late there. China has already moved into several African nations, providing new roads, schools, hospitals at no cost to the local government except a proviso that, when their new infrastructure has been improved to the point where they can exploit their mineral resources, they remember who built that infrastructure for them.

You know, the sort of thing we could have been doing a century ago if we'd been more interested in long term opportunity than we were in short term profit.

1. rcxb Silver badge

China has already moved into several African nations, providing new roads, schools, hospitals at no cost to the local government

China isn't giving away infrastructure to Africa, except for a few token projects or one-off politically motivated concessions. Instead those projects are payed for by LOANS the poor governments are required to repay:

China's lending to countries in Africa was $152 billion between 2000 and 2018, according to the South China Morning Post, much of which was spent on Belt and Road Initiative projects. It's become known as "debt-trap diplomacy", where a country loans money with the intention of political or economic concessions if the loan cannot be repaid.

https://www.newsweek.com/china-africa-loans-coronavirus-economy-u-s-debt-trap-diplomacy-1540883

3. rcxb Silver badge

Soon they may cut the supply of raw materials that the US needs for its technologies

What might those be? China imports many raw materials, including from the US.

Rare earths have been a concern for some time, but there are contingency plans in place. Besides, if they continue to export partially-finished products including those resources, or continue to export to manufacturing and exporting countries like Japan, Germany, Mexico, etc.,, that would work just as well for the US.

1. overunder Silver badge

Yeh, there's a whole underbelly of trade not being observed here, so it's almost like the current "headlines" are put in place by the faceless rich who depend on these very headlines. While I wear a tin foil hat and have no clue what is actually going on underneath, I doubt all this is about the security of "people" outside of the financial security of a "few people".

While not feasible (probably), some entity outside of politics should physically monitor manifests to see what is traded between China and the USA, then we would have an actual calculation of what all these headlines are effecting. I have a felling it's probably along the lines of we won't sell you the whole hammer, but we'll sell you the head and handle and they'll just so happen to come together (so you'll have to *charge* for disassembly to later reassemble).

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

What happens when Huawei retaliates by revoking the licencing of all their 5G patents?

1. rjsmall

I think in that case the US will probably just point to the Chinese disregard / theft of intellectual property and shrug.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

The grown ups have to tidy up the mess.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>What happens when Huawei retaliates by revoking the licencing of all their 5G patents?

We have Finnish 5G phones that only work in the USA/Eu

We have Indian 5g phones that only work in India

We have official Chinese phones that work in Africa, SE Asia

We have 'hacked' Chinese phones that work everywhere

Next, the internet

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Won't worry the Americans. They are used to phones that only work in one city.

1. the hatter

And even that is count is optimistic in some cases.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Which phone case specifically?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

? I've never had one that didn't work everywhere. But I'm guessing from the upvotes they do make phones like that. very strange

2. notathome

Revoking Huawei patients will stop other vendors selling in regions or pump up the price to a point where a region will pay 50% more.

I could see nokia and ericsson being told fee's for licenses (where patients are in use) in the USA have gone up 5 times for any kit sold in this region. Now nokia and ericsson could do the same in China but Nokia and Ericsson are owned by globalists so they are more likely to add on fee plus markup in the USA.

Issue is Huawei owns some key patients that with out 5g will not function. Get the feeling you are over a barrel and Huawei makes money regardless.

Thnakyou UK for a patient system which now china has learnt to play will make ya all pay royalties.

Autocorrect or a deeper 5G virus conspiracy?

2. BenM 29
          Joke

Humour? I have heard of it....

>>Thnakyou UK for a patient system which now china has learnt to play will make ya all pay royalties.

As opposed to the USA patent system which makes ya all pay lawyers....

4. HildyJ Silver badge
    Stop

Hopefully

I suspect (hope) that the Chinese are working with the Grown-up Elect to find a way to deescalate the situation.

We should keep in mind that the sanctions imposed on Germany after the "War to End All Wars" led to the Nazi takeover, the development of science and technology which avoided the sanctions, and, ultimately, the need to number World Wars.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hopefully

Who is the grown up? The doddering old senile guy or the smirking abuser of civil rights? Methinks that Old Joe will pardon his family and step down to let his VP take over.

Re: Hopefully

Erm the doddery old guy is 5% older than the obese alleged aderal addict that just lost.

Perhaps someone could propose a trial by combat?

5. Roland6 Silver badge

A glimmer fof light?

Huawei cannot, for example, license Google Mobile Services (GMS), which is the all-important secret sauce in Android, and contains proprietary apps like the Google Play Store and Google Maps.

Trump has here exposed the lie that "Android" (ie. what joe Public regard as Android) isn't open source.

Huawei and other Chinese (and non-US) companies now have added incentive to replace these elements, unfortunately I expect they also won't be open source. However, Google will have a choice either make their "secret sauce" open source and thus available to all as part of the Android distribution or as they have done with previous Google products, dump it and adopt Huawei's code...

Re: A glimmer fof light?

It's not that the Play store isn't open source it's that it imposes a monopoly on where users of the operating system can buy from and so allows the owner to charge monopoly rents - the sort of thing that Microsoft didn't dare to do even before it got DoJ slapped.

It does seem that somebody just wrote the Eu's anti-trust case for them.

1. Yes Me Silver badge

"It does seem that somebody just wrote the Eu's anti-trust case for them."

I hope that Alphabet/Google will soon be facing a massive DoJ anti-trust investigation in the US too.

I'm sure they have made appropriate political contributions to ensure that doesn't happen. Silicon valley learnt from the Microsoft case that they can't just ignore DC

1. DiViDeD Silver badge

Silicon valley learnt from the Microsoft case that they can't just ignore DC

... without paying off the right politicians.

There, FTFY

You're welcome

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That'll be Apple's app store then? Android devices already have several ways of getting apps - Huawei already have their own app store, Samsung too. And you can easily sideload apps from third party sites depending on how you want to tweak your security settings.

2. Sanctimonious Prick
      Coffee/keyboard

Upvoted coz, that's funny :D

3. Mage Silver badge
      Devil

Re: the lie that "Android"

Google isn't a fit company to own Android, Chrome Browser or Chrome OS.

An advertising company parasitising most internet activities and as much personal information as possible.

Probably they should not be allowed to own YouTube, Gmail, PlayStore, Playbooks or Google Maps. They also should have lost or the case revisited on book digitisation because they don't simply use it for search and even that was a poor excuse.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and no mention of why

the sanction are in place, what crimes prompted them. As if sanctions were put in just for fun or something. There is so much more to this Other countries (India off the top of my head) are parting with China also. Even some UK business (remember the tons of prisoner hair).

1. WonkoTheSane

Re: and no mention of why

I've long suspected that the whole "Huawei BAD!" thing stems from some Qualcomm lobbyist who managed to get Trump's attention for 30 seconds (which would be a new record!).

7. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

and Kyocera

WHY are the USA allowed to inflict their trade, IP and DRM policies BETWEEN 3rd party countries?

Also the USA President is ONLY the USA's leader, not the leader of the Free World. We don't have a leader for the Free World. Not even the UN, which is rightly a talking shop and place for arbitration or negotiation, or to highlight issues. Given the attitudes of the permanent members of the Security Council and the majority of countries of the GA, it's only a convenience that WHO, ITU, Postal Union etc is under the UN umbrella and two of those massively predate the UN. Probably ITU should also control IPs and Domain names as that's slightly less bonkers than having USA private companies do it.

Re: and Kyocera

Kyocera don't have to take any notice of the POTUS - so long as they don't mind being next on the naughty list.

At least we don't send a gunboat anymore when the foreigners displease us..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021