back to article Qualcomm pays $1.4bn to acquire ex-Apple and AMD Arm server chip engineers (and the biz they set up)

Qualcomm has announced it will pay $1.4bn for Arm data-center chip design biz Nuvia, a startup only established in 2019. The acqui-hire is surprising given the fact that Qualcomm ditched its own Arm-based server-grade processor Centriq just before launch as part of a massive cost-cutting exercise that also saw 1,200 people …

1. jotheberlock

Or they don't want to risk having to rely on ARM IP now that's going to be NVidia IP, of course...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Possibly, but even an outfit like Apple (that holds perpetual, irrevocable ARM licences irrespective of who owns ARM) still had reasons to go beyond ARM's IP.

It's not unreasonable to assume that Qualcomm might share those reasons.

2. chasil

Krait & Kryo

"It may mean Qualcomm relies less on licensing off-the-shelf CPU cores from Arm, and instead produces its own highly optimized Arm-compatible CPU designs from scratch, much like Apple has done and succeeded with its A-series in iThings and the M1 in its laptops."

I thought that Krait & Kyro were already in-house designs.

If I remember, the Snapdragon 810 was the only stock ARM, and it had real problems (the Nexus 6p would run hot enough to burn out the CPU).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Theranos 2.0

The more I research Nuvia the more Theranos flashbacks I have ... PTSD? Perhaps...

4. Steve McIntyre

So YA promising-looking ARM server option is DOA

And wave goodbye to good upstream Linux integration etc.

:-(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021