back to article Sweet! Your boss is going to get you a plush new headset, says Gartner as wearable spending to soar almost 20%

Spending on wearable kit is forecast to jump this year by roughly 18 per cent to $81.5bn, if analyst house Gartner is to be believed. As Reg readers knows, "wearables" is a broad term that covers a disparate group of tech products, with the sole commonality that they're used while physically affixed to the user. Of these, the …

1. trevorde Silver badge

New 'Hype Cycle' Phase

Tomb of Disappointment: where overhyped ideas die only to be resurrected a few years later to reappear as a 'Technology Trigger' (again)

2. just_some_dude

Who needs the "sophisticated" stuff to get to $81.4B? All I really wanted was a reliable "dumb" headset that is just a headset. I was pretty shocked when I found out one of the longer-range, non-BT, headsets retail for $200+. I mean the ones with the 10+ year old DECT 6.0 tech. There's nothing particilarly "sophisticated" about them other than the price. Suffice to say I managed to make my BT headphones work for meetings with a new BT dongle for a lot less money. The BT 4.0 built into my work laptop is worthless.

1. big_D Silver badge

I've been using Jabra DECT headsets for about a decade now. They are great. Generally more reliable than BT, especially in crowded environments (at a previous office, we had around 50 people in range with wireless DECT headsets.

At home I use a simple Jabra wired headset or my Sony BT cans. They are generally good enough for my home office.

3. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Double vs single earpiece

When we had IP phones installed, and then a phone app on our laptops, I had to get a headset. I tried a colleague's two earphone headset, and had the extremely unpleasant sensation that my boss was 'inside the back of my head'. I ordered a single earpiece headset, and plugged a noise-cancelling earpiece into the free ear whenever there was too much background office noise. It helped to preserve what little sanity I had left at the time*. I noticed that almost everyone with a double earpiece headset, had one off ear, one on ear, during calls.

*Yes, I'm still on the anti-depressants, but a much lower dose now, thank you Covid-19 restrictions.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like