back to article Paperless what? Pah! UK government looks to ink £900m in printer deals

Many expected an increase in paperwork after the UK left the EU, but £900m on printers seems bit much. Still, Crown Commercial Service – the UK's central government buying team which takes a 1 per cent commission on sales in procurements it manages – is launching a framework encouraging suppliers to chase that sizable currency …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have any friends of the Government

set up an off-the-shelf £100 Ltd Company to funnel this through & take a sizeable commision yet?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Have any friends of the Government

Good point, I'm sure there will be some friends of friends who manage to skim off this as well.

On another point: I remember in the 90s being told that going paperless would save the world... well here I am nearly 30 years later and most companies now use a tiny fraction of the paper they did in the past, even customers get billed electronically these days..... but it's difficult to see that it's had the advertised impact.

Was it oversold?

1. HildyJ Silver badge
        Angel

Friends of the government, friends of MPs, friends of big city governments, friends of lobbyists, and, of course, the Usual Suspects will be skimming for all they're worth churning out nice buttery profits.

But one comment on the paperless society, especially when it comes to governments. The digital divide means that paper is needed to serve the poorer levels of society.

1. EnviableOne Silver badge

that and the almighty wet signature.

paper savings from many paperless systems are negated by having to print so much of it out to be signed.

2. iron Silver badge

Shhhh... No one tell Matt Hancock that MFDs means the NHS can buy FAX machines!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

peanuts

900Million for the entire local and national government, emergency services and other assorted public bodies printing needs? Seems a little low! Especially given how much ass-covering they are having to do now.

4. A K Stiles
    Joke

£900M

Wow - that's like, nearly 5 litres of HP ink isn't it?

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: £900M

tssss, you need to use Imperial Units now that GB is Great Again!

1. A K Stiles

Re: £900M

Many apologies - you are absolutely correct, so a couple of gills over a (nimperial) gallon?

5. Scott Broukell

MFD - I think you will find that that stands for: Mal Functions Daily

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021