back to article SolarWinds takes a leaf out of Zoom's book, hires A-Team of Stamos and Krebs to sort out its security woes

Embattled and embarrassed network management shop SolarWinds has reportedly hired two of the highest profile security bods in the biz to sort out its woes. On Friday the news broke that Chris Krebs, formerly the head of the US government's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) until he was fired by …

1. amacater

CEST

Vastly overloaded acronym

Central European Summer Time

Check Employment Status for Tax [UK HMRC] but worst is Cyber Emergency Support Team and Cyber Evaluation Security Toolkit which already exist in this field.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: CEST

From the article:

'Bureau of Cyberspace Security and Emerging Technologies (CSET)' - not CEST.

CBNC - Close But No Cigar

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

That's what's known as a stable door job.

3. Bitsminer Silver badge

Posture?

CSET will permit the Department to posture itself appropriately

You know, and I know, just exactly what picture would be appropriate here, but this is not a NSFW site so I will leave it to your imaginations.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Posture?

It's that a goat I see ?

4. Severus

Papering over the cracks

SolarWinds own security advisor Ian Thornton-Trump warned the management in 2017 but they didn't listen so he quit. They put profit before anything else and in the process screwed over all their customers who trusted them. Their reputation is in tatters, the trust is gone and the lawsuits will start rolling in. If there's any justice in the world the management will be stripped of their assets and jailed as a message to everyone out there to take security seriously!

1. EnviableOne Silver badge

Re: Papering over the cracks

Hope it stops them buying decent software and ruining it for a while

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

It's not impossible, under US law, to pierce the corporate veil and hold management accountable for corporate misdeeds, but it's difficult. And while IANAL I expect it's particularly difficult when the misdeeds in question can be characterized as negligence rather than outright criminal activity.

I'd be quite surprised if this blows back on SW management in any significant manner. Some people may be shown the door, probably with large payoffs to help the medicine go down.

3. Halfmad

No they took a business decision based presumably on risk.

What's missing is the part where those who took that decision collectively or otherwise are now paying the price of doing so.. which would be another business decision shareholders should be voting on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like