back to article Away from the besuited world of the ThinkPad, Lenovo lets its hair down with refreshed IdeaPad and Yoga lineups

Lenovo's IdeaPad and Yoga lineup is aimed at the consumer and prosumer camps, which allows it greater room to experiment than would otherwise be possible with the conservative ThinkPad range. Just look at the new crop of machines announced today in advance of 2021's annual CES trade show. Lenovo Yoga AIO 7 The Lenovo Yoga AIO …

1. Cuddles

High-end?

"an eight-core Ryzen 7 4800H processor. It also comes with a discrete GeForce RTX 2060 GPU, which will come in handy for those working in creative fields, as well as those partial to high-end gaming."

I'm not convinced a laptop CPU and the cheapest GPU from the last generation really counts as high-end gaming. As a lightweight all-in-one it will probably do the job OK, but you're certainly not going to making use of that 4K resolution in many games. And if you're not fussed about saving space, you could get a decent gaming PC for the same price.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: High-end?

As for the CPU, Passmark has benchmarked it as faster (multi-core) than the I9-9900K desktop CPU. I realize that's two years old now, but it was a relatively high-end desktop part when it came out. This laptop processor has quite a bit of power behind it. I'm not a gamer, so I don't know how to convert from GPU benchmark numbers to gaming performance, but the RTX 2060 appears to have the capacity to get a lot of pixels calculated, including driving 4K displays. If you really need the highest performance, a desktop is necessary. If you don't, and it seems that a lot of games don't, you can probably do fine with the hardware in this laptop.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like