back to article Scottish council awards Unit4 £4.75m support and hosting contract as it seemingly runs out of options

Scotland’s Renfrewshire Council has awarded a £4.75m contract to incumbent ERP supplier Unit4 after its market test for a £2.3m contract offered little in return. Perilously close to the contract expiry date of 31 March 2021, the award was made because “no reasonable alternative or substitute exists”, according to the award …

1. Gordon 10 Silver badge
    WTF?

Is this Unit 4 ERP software any good, or an easy excuse to milk the gullible public sector procurement victims peons ?

It also seems the council shot a bit low in the PIN - why not 3-4m, rather than ~50%? Or was it designed to fail...... dun dun dun!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The horror, the horror...

I'm not an accountant so I have no idea about the "professional" quality of the software in that area, but I have to use it for some budgetary purposes and the UI is IMHO a nightmare.

It has all the appearance of an ancient green-screen terminal app converted by some mechanical means to a web version. Tab between fields in a strict order, and type in the right codes. Stray from the primrose path and you are entering a world of pain which usually ends up with logging out and starting again. The "help" buttons are of the "BLUDGE Code: Enter the appropriate Bludge code" style. We had an upgrade to Version 2 which broke various supplier integrations and made it even less usable.

I don't know if other ERP software is any better, perhaps I should consider myself lucky I'm allowed to use it, but sometimes I get pangs of nostalgia for the days when you filled in a pink chitty and handed it in at the Stores...

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Wow. A Council that made an apparently sound decision

I am so relieved that the Council decided not to replace the recently-installed ERP.

I am a bit less impressed that such a choice was even on the cards.

It's recently installed ? Then you use it until it gets old. It's an ERP. Those things are suppoed to cost a lot and be configured to your needs. If that is not the case, it's not the ERP's fault, it's yours for not having got it configured right.

So configure it right and then use it until it runs into the ground.

There really shouldn't be any other choice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow. A Council that made an apparently sound decision

True. This applies to various IT systems but procurement rules mean councils have no choice but to go through the motions every few years, along with all the paperwork that requires.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like