back to article North of England NHS buyers name IT consultants who got in on £200m framework deal

Deloitte, Atos, and Phoenix Software are among the 29 organisations who've been picked to provide a whopping £200m worth of IT consultancy services to the National Health Service in the north of England. With a name like your second-favourite indie band, the North of England Commercial Procurement Collaborative (NOE CPC) has …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Open house for the usual suspects.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

ditto the usual grief laden story in a year or two.

2. sanmigueelbeer

Open house for the usual suspects

Could be worst -- IBM is not in the list.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"a whopping £200m worth of IT"

A bit under £7m each is not chickenfeed but hardly whopping. Seems like a good job of reducing the previous mega-contracts into manageable amounts with less at risk in each one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: not chickenfeed but hardly whopping

Hang on, weren't you on here yesterday explaining how mobile phones prove trickle down economics works?

Similar attitude to wealth, those who have it should be given more.....

1. Robert Grant

Re: not chickenfeed but hardly whopping

Nowhere did that comment mention that the amounts were insufficient.

3. schmeckles65

Wouldn't it be cheaper....

I mean, I am no expert, but... wouldn't it have been cheaper to just hire some high skilled workers in the field and pay them a good salary to do a good job? Or would that be too easy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wouldn't it be cheaper....

> I mean, I am no expert, but... wouldn't it have been cheaper to just hire some high skilled workers in the field and pay them a good salary to do a good job? Or would that be too easy.

In other words, set up an IT company?

1. schmeckles65

No, setup a solid NHS IT team like most businesses.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

How many companies do you know that build their own PCs?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Do you mean like NHS Digital? Or NHSx?

The problem is the NHS doesn't know how to do this. It's not run by people who can see the future they want and know how to get there.

Quite a lot of the power is at the clinician level, who don't have much of a clue about possibilities, and focus on the wrong things. It's taken a global pandemic for them to realise that Zoom is a pretty good way to deliver healthcare. Not exactly who should be deciding the fate of a giant chunk of taxpayer money.

1. low_resolution_foxxes

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. Most "NHS GP's" are privately owned by the GPs, with a tonne of debt, expensive admin teams and a several million pound building.

They had absolutely no incentive to compete with home-based GP video services at a fraction of the cost (typically suitable for 80% of gp visits).

Things changed when the GPs realised no patient visits = no NHS money. Video conferencing now incentivised.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Zoom is a pretty good way to deliver healthcare"

Really?

Overkill in one sense: a telephone call is sufficient to discuss symptoms.

Insufficient if a physical examination is needed.

The gap between the two cases seems to me to be vanishingly small. In fact, the only effect I can see would be to rule out health case for those patients not equipped for it

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Or would that be too easy.

The problem is that you'd really want to be offering market salary rates - something the public sector isn't good at.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well yes, but also (currently working in the NHS IT coal mines) it would help if strategy and direction lasted longer than the attention span of a goldfish before we're off to the next shiny shiny.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

The trick is to look like you're pandering to the latest whim without wasting any real time & effort. When the next shiny comes along, rinse & repeat.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Another NHS IT miner here: the latest shiney is laptops for all the Covid clincs. See overheating thread passim.

2. Tom 7

We need to modify covid to seek out those with MBAs and implant 30 years of IT experience in them. Or just kill them. it would save more lives in the long run.

3. Rob Daglish

Part of the problem is there isn’t a single NHS, there are lots of little NHSs that do different things, and what tends to happen is political types like to reorganise these on a frequent basis- centralise some stuff, push other stuff apart, wait a few years, rinse and repeat ad infinitum. IT staff are then pushed back and forth between various trusts who can’t give them answers on how long they have a job as they don’t know if they’ll employ them, outsource them or just bring in a contractor. What happens is, lthis goes on until it happens once too often for the long suffering IT staff who go off and find a job in the real world. In my experience, it meant I got to leave the equipment store of the local hospital which was also my office...

4. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Facepalm

Tender? What a quaint concept

Says someone from the Cabinet Office, who can't remember the last time they issued a contract for mere millions. Contracts for billions, without tender is the new normal in the era of Covid.

The buyers' group of NHS trusts first launched the tender in July

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Joke

I would take $10M for a consultancy

I would recommend that someone else does the job ... think how much money this would save.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like