back to article Overpriced, underpowered, and over here: Microsoft to bring the Surface Duo to British shores in early 2021

Microsoft will give the Surface Duo an international release, bringing the dual-screen phone to the UK, Canada, France, and Germany in "early 2021". The long-awaited Surface Duo hit (exclusively) US shelves in autumn this year, carving out an entirely new category within the relatively stagnant phone market. It isn't quite a …

1. macjules

Overpriced, underpowered, and over here

Sorry, thought we were back on Tesla for a moment there.

1. Timmy B

Re: Overpriced, underpowered, and over here

How on earth can you call Teslas underpowered?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flop but not fail

Look, it will flop, at that price it has to be perfect and it's not. *But* the basic principle is right there.

People want a larger screen, and a smaller phone. The bezels got smaller and smaller, even wrapping around the body, but there is only so far you can go with that. 100% screen to phone size.

So now we're moving to foldables. But the screens are no longer rigid and tough, they're plasticy and flexible. Dirt gets under the screen. It's no longer sealed. So to get the foldable you make a few sacrifices.

But if you can get two screens to abut so they open to a single large screen, then you've done the same as a foldable but without the sacrifice of the flexing screen.

Microsoft have failed with this product: 1) the screen does not abut. 2) They cut the pixels out of the display where the hinge is, hiding the content as if obscured by the hinge, which just makes it worse. 3) The bezels top and bottom are huge! You're supposed to deliver the maximum screen for the minimum body size, and for this format it should be as close to 200% as possible! 4) The hinges are contrasting color and stand out a mile. 5) super roundy corners, yuck. 6) tent mode, trying to make a feature out of a shortcoming.

So they need to try again. The hinge needs to be behind the screens and the full surface needs to be screen, the hinges need to snap the two screens against each other.

Perfect that? Now move to 3x screens with one screen on the outside as the normal use display.

Product cycles are 1 year in the phone business and they do that by overlapping their teams. Next years phone is already in process when this year phone is launched. It's a tough market, you're either fully in it or your not in it. Microsoft should decide now that they will be another Oppo or Huawei and keep bashing out new phones until they get it right. One per year, all markets simultaneous launch. Till they get a winner.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Flop but not fail

it's good enough for me.

Bring it below a 4-digit price, give it a decent CPU and a headphone jack, and I'm buyin' a Microsoft product! Shock!

2. DS999 Silver badge

They will need a trifold for it to be acceptable. People who want a bigger screen on their phone don't want one that starts at or unfolds to a square. It also has to be seamless, separate screens with a bezel between is a non starter.

1. Dave 126

> People who want a bigger screen on their phone don't want one that starts at or unfolds to a square. It also has to be seamless, separate screens with a bezel between is a non starter.

You may be correct. It just depends on whether some people will use the two screens for productivity tasks, or if they just want to watch videos.

There are *occasions* when having two apps side by side would be useful to me, but only occasions - not enough to warrant carrying around extra hardware all the time.

3. Sloppy Crapmonster
      Joke

"Perfect that? Now move to 3x screens with one screen on the outside as the normal use display."

Hey, I had one of those when I was a kid! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRDeSCQoCCM

3. Hubert Cumberdale

Uncle Microsoft,

late to the party again. And, oh look – he's brought a bottle of Mateus Rosé! Am I completely mistaken, or is he also sporting double denim? Let's just hope he didn't bring any CDs.

1. K

Re: Uncle Microsoft,

Nothing wrong with double denim... Kevin Bacon pulls it off spectacularly!

2. cookieMonster Silver badge

Re: Uncle Microsoft,

Cruel.... but so very very on the mark.

Have an upvote.

4. JDX Gold badge

I would find this pretty neat if you could use it as a single-screen when it's closed, then open it for more space. e,g, checking your phone Vs reading a book on the train.

I don't THINK it works that way but others might.

1. hoola Silver badge

That sort of functionality might actually be useful and more durable that one of these daft folded screens. The only way I can see it working in this format is for the hinge to allow the halves to completely fold through 360 degrees like many of the 2-in-1 laptops. You could go a bit further and allow the screen to be on one half and a soft keyboard on the other. That is reminiscent of the old Nokia communicator.

At least with Android there are some Apps available.

I once did a proof of concept with a small sliding screen hand held from OQO that ran full XP. In the end it was connectivity that killed the use-case. We just could not get a reliable mobile connection using Edge, GPRS or whatever the very mobile earliest data protocol was.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/46452/OQO-Model-01/

At the time it was a pretty funky piece of hardware.

1. JDX Gold badge

Another implementation is to have two internal screens on a standard clam-shell type hinge, AND a third screen on the outside.

There was a phone that did (almost) this a little while back, screens on both sides - one being the full-colour one, the other e-ink so you could save power, etc.

2. Dabooka

That is spectacularly terrible

And I love it.

Is that a COM port on the front?!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Niche

The Duo is not a new Microsoft concept. Microsoft Research developed a concept called the Courier (a Windows tablet with two 7" screens) in 2009 and even before that the Codex prototype (two OQO Windows tablets with 5" screens). The idea in Microsoft's mind has always centered on productivity in Office applications.

Even as an early adopter of Windows tablets (pre iOS or Android), I can only think of them as niche products.

They are definitely overpriced and underpowered but if you need the features they are offering you will accept that.

OTOH, I don't see normal people (or even the El Reg community) buying many.

6. FordPrefect

Its considerably cheaper than the Galaxy fold. However I think I'd rather stump up the extra for the Samsung. That device just looks awkward.

7. Old Used Programmer

And the reply was...

The US GIs reply to the original your title is taken from was that the British forces were "under-sexed, under-paid, and under Ike."

8. Jason Hindle

Overpriced, underpowered...

And I didn’t realise it was still not quite here! Then again, would I have noticed if it was here already?

9. sw guy

No NFC

Some people put that on the negative side, but others put on the positive one

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft and Productivity and Hardware are Oxymorons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like