back to article Top tip from the original Task Manager taskmaster: Don't put your phone number on that debug message box

Retired Microsoft engineer Dave Plummer has continued his series of Windows insights with a rummage around historical Task Manager source code. Plummer talked about his role in the creation of Task Manager earlier this year and has posted a series of videos on the subject on his YouTube channel over recent days, culminating in …

1. Wolfclaw
    Meh

Shame Microsoft now employ brain dead monkeys to do most of their coding and would scream if they didn't have megabytes of memory to waste.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

I suspect TaskManager is smaller & lighter as it has to work so close to the kernel. I bet most applications use much higher level abstractions which add all the bloat.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"...work so close to the kernel..."

Surely it just queries the kernel via a well known API, so in theory anyone could write a task manager.

1. Korev Silver badge
          Pint

The pre-borg Sysinternals wrote the excellent Process Explorer, does any one know what that uses?

A virtual pint for the Sysinternals Tools developers -->

1. Ellipsis
            Boffin

Many of the Sysinternals tools install their own device driver to get direct access to kernel data that aren’t exposed through user-mode APIs. Task Manager is purely user-mode.

2. Unicornpiss
            Pint

Process Explorer

Agreed. While Task Manager wasn't bad, Process Explorer is what should have shipped with all versions of Windows. I wish there was a port of this useful, versatile, Swiss Army knife of an application for the Linux platform. Finding Process Explorer after using Task Manager for years was like the scene in the Wizard of Oz where everything turns Technicolor.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

brain dead monkeys

Teams.

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

Wow! So there was a time when people were able to manage memory by themselves, without having to rely on a garbage collector? That's amazing!

// Yes, I could use virtual destructors, but I could also poke

// myself in the eye with a sharp stick. Either way, you wouldn't

// be able to see what's going on

I totally agree with that.

1. Ellipsis
      Thumb Up

Of course, if Dave did poke himself in the eye with a sharp stick, he wouldn’t be able to see what’s going on, either…

I do remember once running Spy++ at the same time as Task Manager, and being mildly surprised that ‘DavesFrameClass’ had made it into production code…

3. MarkET

Source code

The early versions of the Windows 3.1 DDK included an entry point named "OnlyBozosGetHere" along with "whatTF".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Process Monitor..

..which replaced filemon and appmon are Task Manager on steroids

5. Captain Scarlet

Still prefer original task manager

As old machines easily consume 10% cpu resources just to display the new version

6. druck Silver badge
    Unhappy

Dave's gone

"If you corrupt its registry data, it can effectively uninstall and reinstall itself silently behind the scenes to repair itself. If system resources aren't available, it does without. Most applications are content to, at most, validate that their assumptions are true. Task Manager adjusts and adapts to the reality of the situation, which is a step beyond."

Dave was obviously long gone by the time of Windows 8.1, where it removes it's registry entries while running, so if shutdown unexpectedly (which is expected often), it starts backup having lost all the user settings.

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Re: Dave's gone

To be fair, changing user settings is a way to crash Windows, or at least has been in any version of Windows I have ever used.

Default has the advantage that you know is most likely to work.

7. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Years ago I was asked to have a look at program running on an ancient computer in a university's psychology department, running an equally ancient version of Unix. So ancient, in fact, that when I typed "man <something other>" it replied "If you need help with this, go and see Brian Kernighan in Room 3708".

1. Ozan

THat's computer museam acient level.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Boss, I need you to book me this plane ticket."

8. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Happy

Naming his functions

Dave

Yupp... still do stupid things like that here...

boristoolreplace, boristoolmeasue borisisatool...

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Naming his functions

Why are you writing tools for an ISA bus in this century?

9. Howard Sway Silver badge

Choices, choices....

Tonight I shall watch Dave on Task Manager, followed by Taskmaster on Dave (11.20 pm)

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: Choices, choices....

Taskmaster?

When is Beastmaster on?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3970X

A Ryzen man. He gets my respect!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're exaggerating

> let's face it; looking at one's own code from decades past can be traumatic in the extreme

My code hasn't got *that* much worse over the years.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: You're exaggerating

My Transact-SQL code is baffling, to me, in twelve months. That's when I start adding in comments. ;-)

Next year: more comments...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like