back to article China Telecom answers US internet routing hijack claims by joining internet routing security team: How do you like them apples?

China Telecom has joined the global routing security group MANRS, just as America's communications regulator decided to formally investigate whether the company was a national security threat. “The Mutually Agreed Norms for Routing Security (MANRS) officially accepted China Telecom as a participant in the network operator …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>> "The argument put forward by the US government is that by being based in China the company is subject to government pressure and therefore it should be assumed that it will end up spying for its Beijing masters."

It's about time we applied the same argument to all American companies and their Washington masters.

1. DavCrav Silver badge

"It's about time we applied the same argument to all American companies and their Washington masters."

China assumes just that, hence American companies aren't allowed anywhere near China's stuff.

1. Yes Me Silver badge
        Headmaster

American sales in China

Not true. China has been a major market for Cisco, for example, for many years, although in the last two years they have been losing sales, mainly because of tRump's stupid tariff war.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cisco-systems-results-idUSKCN1V424I

2. Yes Me Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Fixed it for you

"It should be noted that there is no evidence that has been made public, or even referred to, of AT&T spying. The argument put forward by the Chinese government is that by being based in the USA the company is subject to government pressure and therefore it should be assumed that it will end up spying for its Washington masters."

Sounds reasonable to me.

Facts: https://www.corp.att.com/worldwide/att-you-china/

2. Cuddles Silver badge

Politics

"a test of the MANRS body, which was set up to fix routing errors and yet risks being dragged into global politics"

It's an international collaboration. It doesn't risk being dragged into global politics, it's deeply involved in global politics by its very nature. The technical people doing the actual work might just be trying to do their jobs properly, but you don't get a bunch of different countries arguing about how best to handle international standards and pretend that somehow politics is magically not involved in any way.

3. DavCrav Silver badge
    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Article heavy on the scary quotes, but super-light on the actual technical details. And way too many uses of "allegedly", it doesn't seem there's much actual evidence.

1. DavCrav Silver badge

The credulousness of some of you people. This is a country that, literally, has half a million slaves picking cotton. I mean, genuinely picking cotton. It's like they wanted to come up with the best way of saying 'Fuck you' to the civlized world and thought "I know! Let's get our slaves picking cotton."

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Slaves?

<irony>

Letting your imagination get away with yourself?

Who knew, until the "village-based work teams" visited and "mobilised and organised" villages in Xinjiang, that hundreds of thousands of people, until then, unknowingly had the untapped desire to "enthusiastically sign up" and rush into the fields and pick cotton.

I suggest you look at the pictures of "the smiling faces of all Xinjiang's ethnic groups" to see that stories of slavery are just "America's lies and rumours".

</irony>

The troubling part is given what we do know about the way China treats its own ethnic groups, and its neighbours around the China Sea, we can be sure they won't be treating the RoW any better; particularly those in countries that have resources China needs and thus are the recipients of Chinese 'aid'. the West are going to have to really step up their overseas aid...

2. Roland6 Silver badge

I think the real meat of the article has been processed to suit an anti-Chinese agenda

Given this is the Guardian, I'm a little surprised it is towing the US line [See: https://www.theregister.com/2020/11/26/keith_krach_undersecretary_of_state_usa_vs_huawei/ ]

Fundamentally, the article is about how the GSM networks signalling messages can and are being used by state players for " illegitimate purposes".

"Miller also found what he called unique cases in which the same mobile phone users who appear to have been targeted via China Unicom also appear to have been targeted simultaneously through two Caribbean operators: Cable & Wireless Communications (Flow) in Barbados and Bahamas Telecommunications Company (BTC)."

This would suggest the persons of interest were of interest to USA/UK intelligence services...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021