back to article UK competition watchdog fast-tracks investigation into mega-merger of O2 and Virgin Media

The UK's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) will subject the proposed merger of Virgin Media and O2 to an investigation to decide whether the combined mega-entity will hurt the market for certain telecommunications-related products. Although Virgin Media and O2 are best known for their consumer-targeted stuff (like TV, …

1. NiceCuppaTea

Viring media Positioning for 5G

Can see the why... when 5G rollout is completed who the hell will wnt fixed lines, either in business or residential? If i can pluck 1gbps out the air then wyh would i pay for a leased line?

1. Refugee from Windows

Re: Viring media Positioning for 5G

Very long term thinking then, especially out in the sticks. Any 5G coverage will no doubt be just before they announce 6G round here.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Assuming you are in an area that gets a good signal and the backhaul isn't oversubscribed, then good luck to you.

3. aidanstevens

Because you want a reliable, unlimited connection?'

2. Mystic Megabyte
    Unhappy

Lunchtime O'booze

"Philip Carse, chief analyst at Megabuyte, "

Oi! That username is already taken. Bloody cheek!

3. hoola Silver badge

Which is worse?

The outcome for consumers could be interesting. I am not a Virgin customer but they appear to have their fair share of issues dealing with people. I have been with O2 for years and always found them very helpful and easy to deal with. This contrasts with my wife who is on Vodafone that has given endless grief with cocked up billing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Which is worse?

OTOH I'v never had anything but good service from Vodafone (though I've only been with them for 29 years). Get as reliable a signal as any network around my home area, helpful staff when I phone to renew contracts and prices that match any others I've seen advertised (aka existing customer continues to get new customer sweetener discounts). Of course, YMMV.

4. PATSYQB

Just what's needed!

...another giant company to suck business and goodwill out of the market....

1. Plest Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Just what's needed!

What Virgin and O2 are already paragons of of virtue and good business management?!

5. Wolfclaw
    Trollface

VMO2 what could possibly go wrong ?

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Could be interesting

I'm sitting here in Germany with a phone with an 02-DE sim sharing a slot with a Virgin-UK sim... What could possibly go wrong?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Greed, anyone?

Just remind me how many price rises have been imposed on punters, after Liberty Global took over VirginMedia?

Does anyone expect any different?

Yawn. Wake me up when they announce the next price rise, after merger. (hope it doesnt happen)

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"BT's at the time market-shaking acquisition of EE (a similar combo of fixed and mobile businesses) was waved through in early 2016"

It would have been difficult for them to have done otherwise. It just restored BT to the position they were in before the idiot BT management (tautology alert) of the time decided they didn't really want a mobile network & floated O2 off.

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

Yeah exactly if they allowed BT and EE to merge, when I can't see how they can block VM and O2 without getting involved in a judicial review over the decision.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

well that was an acquisition not a merger, so quite different I think.

Also with openreach in BT versus virgin business, on the infraside Liberty is doing little, so there is no synergy or integration to speak of other than customer billing I suppose. I;m not sure billing is a bit consumer competitive selling point. "Best billing in the business, worst coverage." lol

This Vm-O2 is purely investment bank stuff, a leveraged buyout it seems, far more so that BT-EE which at least could be argued was about scale. BT had the equity to buy EE, this is too debt riddled companies opening a joint account, by borrowing on their credit card, which they also opened on the joint account. All that USD, EUR and GBP money printing has to go somewhere.

This really is about making a quick buck, will cripple the merged entity with a ton of non-investment debt. The merged company will be so ill to put up any fight with the competition.

Even three-O2 looked better than this debt burdened shit show. The Libery global purchase already badly Fcked up VM.

Maybe this is one of those Brexit things - ofcom/CMA can say yes to bad deals for the consumer. Far fewer people to "wine and dine" (wink wink) in the CMA now.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Suppose it mostly depends on how big a donation either body makes to the Tory party.

10. Plest Silver badge

Oh dear

Company called "Megabuyte"?! Sounds like Homer Simpson got involved at the meeting to name that company!

1. Giles C Silver badge

Re: Oh dear

It is genuine, I just looked up their website, in case it was a typo and has been running for about 13 years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like