back to article IBM bet the company on hybrid cloud. Analysts just rated it a mere 'contender' for hybrid management

In October 2020, IBM bet the business on hybrid cloud. But analyst firm Forrester has just rated Big Blue a mere "contender" for hybrid cloud management, well behind market leaders. When IBM CEO Arvind Krishna announced the company's new direction, Big Blue said: "With tighter integration and focus on its open hybrid cloud and …

1. Flywheel
    Thumb Down

Maybe

... they'll stop making people redundant long enough to get it out the door and who knows, maybe support for a year or so?

Bah!

2. trevorde Silver badge

Big upgrade in the works

ie more redundancies

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"So Big Blue has some runway left to travel before take-off."

Have you seen the design for the airplane! :)

Just watch it crash and burn.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Yeah, things aren't Boeing well for them...

4. RamiF

IBM is history, unfortunately

It's obvious that IBM is history. After splitting the New CO will die slowly.

The rest of IBM can't deliver $50 Billion, no way. RED Hat is about 5, few more for Mainframe and the rest is no more then nothing. Few SW packs that know one need and some services... It will end with a company of 20B to 25B. This is the new IBM.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: IBM is history, unfortunately

Bet Arvind is sh*tting himself at your expert analysis there.

5. IGnatius T Foobar !

India Business Machines

They've still got a few employees in the Western world that they have yet to lay off. It's coming. Meanwhile the IT behemoth of the 20th Century is long gone.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

History tells the tale

Unfortunately IBM no longer has the ability to execute and show a long term vision of 30-40 years ago.

Years ago IBM would talk about Kodak and their "Kodak moment" when it was having one itself with cloud. It was collectively asleep at the wheel whilst AWS was building their capability and even Microsoft and Google invested and pivoted to cloud.

Now in terms of market cap, IBM is only 6% the size of Microsoft. Let that sink in for a moment.

1. mjperrins

Re: History tells the tale

I will agree with you , I was in the office in IBM Hursely when Steven Mills ex Software Group was holding a technical leader round table, I was invited, and I asked him when is IBM investing in Cloud Computing like AWS , this was 2009 time frame , I had been around IBMers that had done Bureau service in the 70s eg cloud computing for mainframes, he dismissed me and said we already were, I asked how ? Basically he was being fed good news upwards, I was working with our GTS offering with a UK media company and it was working well, but not anywhere where we needed it to , he said we have it sorted and I walked out of the room knowing we we behind , fast forward, I was in IBM Cloud Engineering 2015-2018, they have their act together and its growing fast, Kubernetes foundation and enterprise security and compliance , feels like AWS maybe on the back foot of Hybrid Cloud, building apps for EC2 is so old school when you see what OpenShift and Kubernetes can do, accept our failings but most of it was old school management that made a lot of money of inventing WebSphere but missed the next investment, this time round IBM has it sorted and we have brilliant management in Arvind and Jim W they are changing the culture from the inside out , no more good news upwards like the Steven Mills story, I will give a good Steve Mills story was sat on a couch in Dallas with my IBM Fellow Tony Temple ( he helped Bill Gates invent OS/2 Windows GUI design ) Steve came up and said DB2 installs on Windows in 16mins ! He was stoked, basically IBM is playing this same strategy for Multi cloud we will bring our best stuff to the competition and have fun :-)

7. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like