back to article You're going to need to unwrap and rewrap those Pi-400 holiday gifts. There's a new Raspberry Pi OS Update

The Raspberry Pi team has served up yet another reason to prematurely unbox the Pi-under-the-tree with an update to the Debian-based Raspberry Pi OS. An end-of-year refresh is always welcome, even if it means opening up that Pi-400 yet again to avoid a lengthy Christmas morning update (ours took around an hour to stutter its …

1. Deft

Never too young....

I think it'll be more character building for my seven year old daughter to open the Pi400 on Christmas day and learn the hard reality of life / software updates.

1. TheProf Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Never too young....

That's right crush her hopes and dreams while she's still young and weak.

In a few years she'll be able to get her own back and you're really going to suffer.

Merry Christmas. :-)

2. LDS Silver badge
      Angel

Yes, it's a good lesson to learn that any device needs to be updated right out of the box.

And if an update is not available you should re-pack it and send it back... <G>

1. Tom 7 Silver badge

TBF an update on the Pi4 takes a couple of minutes if that. I've some early Pis and Zeros that you can ignore for an hour or more after starting an update.

Top TIp - do vnc onto them once in a while though so you realise you've forgotten to remove Wolfram which needs a full universe cycle to download and install.

1. Lazlo Woodbine

The article does say the Pi400 update took an hour, so for those of us on rural 'broadband' I guess we can double that...

1. Refugee from Windows

Add to that everybody else trying to get devices to work on Christmas morning.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Add to that someone in management decided the Christmas break is the best time to take the servers offline for maintenance...

3. Allan George Dyer Silver badge
      Childcatcher

BatteriesUpdates Not Included.

4. Korev Silver badge
      Windows

I think it'll be more character building for my seven year old daughter to open the Pi400 on Christmas day and learn the hard reality of life / software updates.

And when she's older she can joke about her first computer in the way we talk about floppy disks and punchcards now.

What's the female equivalent of "Greybeard" -->

2. NATTtrash
    Trollface

Playback in YouTube seems snappy enough and, it being 2020, video conferencing clients such as Google Meet and Teams all performed well in our quick test.

Since natural, continuous, non-interrupted video conferencing in Teams is a pipe dream any way, it won't be hindered by the perhaps less optimal specs of the Pi to begin with.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Why is it a pipe dream? I use it daily and without missing a beat.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Teams is utter shit.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
          Big Brother

re: Teams is utter shit.

But... it is Microsoft Shit. that is even worse smelling than a baby's shit but it seems that it is either the MS brand of shit or the Google brand. both are evil smelling but far too many companies have bought into their brands of cool-aid (shit flavour)

2. William Towle
        FAIL

> Why is it a pipe dream? I use it daily and without missing a beat.

Not so lucky here.

Having received invitations to a number of calls recently, my experience is Meet and Teams can both be temperamental, but thus far I'm persuaded towards thinking the Stretch laptop I keep for managing backups and other emergencies is better for keeping Teams happy than my development laptop with Buster on it, whereas Meet is agnostic to hardware/OS but struggles more with the connection quality[/ies].

And the best experience award goes to ... neither of the above - it's the potential new employer with the in-house shared whiteboard app and PBX dialed out to my mobile on speakerphone.

*sigh*

3. Martin an gof Silver badge

Had to install the Teams client on an OpenSuse laptop for child to do remote school (everything except video worked in Firefox). It installed itself to auto-start and take over the screen by default, eventually discovered how to stop that but now I keep getting "cannot verify integrity of repositry" whenever it looks for an update. Who'da thunk Microsoft couldn't sign their own software properly?

M.

2. Spanners Silver badge
      Happy

natural, continuous, non-interrupted video conferencing in Teams is a pipe dream

I just had a Teams meeting with about 120 people - in 2 large workplaces and a lot in their homes. Sadly, it worked really well - no stutters. lost connections or any other problems other than the traditional ones like people forgetting to unmute themselves and someone showing us their desktop.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"[...] and someone showing us their desktop"

Euphemism.

3. Old Used Programmer Silver badge

Keep track of what takes the time...

sudo apt update runs reasonably fast. What takes time is sudo apt full-upgrade.

1. TimMaher Silver badge
      Go

Re: Keep track of what takes the time...

Agree.

I use aptitude upgrade and update on both of my Pi’s.

The updates of the last couple of days, either side of the weekend, happened reasonably quickly. Say a few minutes each.

4. David Shaw

xmas pressies, scalping GPU's?

I didn't get the new R-Pi yet for the kids, instead have wrapped the fairly new fairly similar nVidia CUDA AI/ML R-pi type Jetson B01... (I can't afford the Petascale Integrated AI Workgroup Server Second-Gen DGX for them yet)

strangely, buying the jetson ($99 in USA) from AMZN ASIN dp/B084P23M3R for £124, when it arrived it had a radiospares part-number sticker on the box, and upon looking at their website RS UK 199-9831 discovered that it's only £99 direct from RS, but they have no-stock!

25% profit for someone

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Linux

Hmmm

Not interested in PulseAudio, so in the Pi does it reside alongside ALSA or do they take it out. If the latter it won't be coming anywhere near my Yoshimi Pi.

ALSA may be a great grandad now, but it's reliable and does what it says on the tin. It also plays nice with Jack.

Finally, there a newer system pipeWire, that's looking promising. It combines the best features of Jack and Pulse (supports the Jack API) and plays nice with ALSA.

6. tcmonkey

"PulseAudio hasn't always been the most reliable piece of software"

And the prize for understatement of the decade goes to...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021