back to article Docker support deprecated in Kubernetes will break your clusters, says CNCF ambassador. It's only the runtime, says Docker

"Docker support is being deprecated in Kubernetes. You need to pay attention to this and plan for it. THIS WILL BREAK YOUR CLUSTERS," said CNCF Ambassador Ian Coldwater on Twitter. This caused consternation among developers but it is admins who need to take note – Kubernetes will still run Docker containers. Coldwater's tweet …

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Rancher has been pushing containerd ahead of Docker for ages.

For instance:

"k3s includes and defaults to containerd. Why? Because it’s just plain better. If you want to run with Docker first stop and think, “Really? Do I really want more headache?” If still yes then you just need to run the agent with the --docker flag."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just last week turned off our docker cluster, terrible performance compared to AKS

3. sabroni Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Sounds like a problem for Platform!

Thank Fuck!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I haven't had the need to use things like Docker and as far as I can tell there are no plans to use anything container related.

But you never know...

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Docker is a great way to run a Pi-Hole with an Unbound on a Raspberry Pi with their own IP-addresses, thus avoiding port conflicts.

5. Smartypantz

If you dont understand "servers"

https://xkcd.com/1988/

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, who here actually *runs* Kubernetes?

And what for?

I am aware of the technology. It is in my bag of tricks should I ever need it. But short of running a hosting or SaaS company, I can't see what net benefit it could offer to make it so populartalked about.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: So, who here actually *runs* Kubernetes?

It depends on how you operate, if you need the capability of deploying containers like you can deploy cloud services, but doing on premise then....

7. justincormack

change of plan

The shim is now going to be supported by Mirantis and Docker https://www.mirantis.com/blog/mirantis-to-take-over-support-of-kubernetes-dockershim-2/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022