back to article Robot drills hole on Moon, employs robot arm to clean up mess to bring home

China has released video of its Chang’e 5 probe successfully … erm … probing the moon. After landing successfully on Tuesday, the probe spent a day or so preparing to drill into the satellite in order to unsettle enough Moon-stuff to offer terrestrial scientists useful insights into Luna’s composition. Late on Wednesday night …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Terminator

sealed so tight it includes Lunar vacuum.

Now that's an interesting turn of phrase... I know what they meant but I'm having difficulty visualising including nothing...

The slight change in orbital distance of the moon is probably caused by Robert Heinlein spinning in his grave.

1. Little Mouse Silver badge
      Coat

Re: sealed so tight it includes Lunar vacuum.

Moon dust swaps hands for a small fortune. How much is moon vacuum worth?

How much vacuum are they bringing back?

1. Chris G Silver badge

I have a few jars of Lunar vacuum for sale at €20K each, if you open one however, the guarantee on content and quality will be null and void.

1. Tom 7 Silver badge

However under controlled lab conditions a container of Lunar vacuum can be opened and used to fill containers containing only boring earth vacuum. Pretty much endlessly!

1. Tony W

Thinking about it, although semantically all vacuums ought to be equal, in practice they are not. But it's a very odd way to say what they did, which is simply to get a good enough seal to prevent comtamination.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

I guess it was sealed on the moon and will come back like that. I wonder if it will make the same popping sound that vacuum tubes make when you throw them on a hard surface.

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Re: sealed so tight it includes Lunar vacuum. - Atmosphere actually

From the NASA web site:

"Until recently, most everyone accepted the conventional wisdom that the moon has virtually no atmosphere. Just as the discovery of water on the moon transformed our textbook knowledge of Earth's nearest celestial neighbor, recent studies confirm that

our moon does indeed have an atmosphere

consisting of some unusual gases, including sodium and potassium, which are not found in the atmospheres of Earth, Mars or Venus. It's an infinitesimal amount of air when compared to Earth's atmosphere. At sea level on Earth, we breathe in an atmosphere where each cubic centimeter contains 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 molecules; by comparison the lunar atmosphere has less than 1,000,000 molecules in the same volume. That still sounds like a lot, but it is what we consider to be a very good vacuum on Earth. In fact, the density of the atmosphere at the moon's surface is comparable to the density of the outermost fringes of Earth's atmosphere where the International Space Station orbits."

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LADEE/news/lunar-atmosphere.html

1. zuckzuckgo Bronze badge

Re: sealed so tight it includes Lunar vacuum. - Atmosphere actually

> it is what we consider to be a very good vacuum on Earth

So not a Dyson?

2. Steve K Silver badge
          Coat

if you open one however, the guarantee on content and quality will be null and void.

Well that just sucks

1. vincent himpe

vacuum cleaner : the only thing that sucks if it doesn't ...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> vacuum cleaner : the only thing that sucks if it doesn't ...

<insert Grindr joke here>

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Well that just sucks

It sucks on an astronomical scale.

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

What could be canned and marketed/sold is air from the ISS. There's bound to be some suckers with more money than sense willing to buy

2. EvilDrSmith Silver badge

Does Moon Vacuum have a use in Chinese medicine?

Everything else seems to.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Chris G Silver badge

"Does Moon Vacuum have a use in Chinese medicine?"

No but it is the ultimate homeopathic cure for lunacy.

2. Sceptic Tank
      Paris Hilton

It's a type of mechanical cleaning apparatus.

(Makes me wonder: how are they going to keep the carpets of the moon base dust free if there is no air? The vacuum cleaner is going to be worthless).

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Star Trek?

Just what is it with these space agencies - that emblem at the top right of the image looks like Star Trek was the inspiration.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Star Trek?

And the Geek shall inherit the Earth (or at least take over the space agencies of said Earth in the hope that they can at least inherit Mars, or maybe the Moon... at least for a while...)

-- from the forgotten books of the Dead Sea Tablets (the less famous cousins of the Dead Sea Scrolls, as in the end, everyone decided that Tablets were so last year and this new fangled ink and paper stuff was really the way of the future.

(or perhaps not...)

2. Jim Mitchell

Re: Star Trek?

I wonder if Star Trek is banned in China. The ideals don't seem compatible with the CCP.

3. DJO Silver badge

Impressed

Not with the mission, that goes without saying but with the Reg editor who somehow managed to resist using "Chinese Takeaway" as the strapline.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Impressed

They'll be wanting to go back for more before long

2. Atomic Duetto

Re: Impressed

Take away is the following missions, where Regolith delivery (always containing too much onion) is outsourced to Uber eats.

4. AMBxx Silver badge

Is that it?

I was 12 months old when Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon. I have it on good authority that I was woken to watch.

In terms of manned exploration we've barely advanced in over 50 years. My parents would have expected me to be holidaying on Mars by now.

1. Elledan

Re: Is that it?

To be fair, China has only been developing its space program since the 1990s. Since that time they have done space walks, space stations, a few Moon missions including a first-time-ever mission to the far side of the Moon. At their current pace they'll have a permanent Moon colony and a manned mission to Mars before NASA can get SLS beyond LEO.

Some have said that only SpaceX is really competing with China's space program at this point in terms of ambition and speed of development.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Apollo 11 launched just after my 4th birthday. I remember asking my mother how they got the pictures if there wasn't anyone else to hold the camera.

I had a ton of posters in my room depicting the spacecraft and the flights they would take to Mars, Venus, and the Outer Planets (not my capitalization)

I also had large posters of the complex Lunar and Martian bases we would build.

Sigh.

1. Dr Gerard Bulger

Well I was on Long Island, one part of one of the 13 rebellious colonies when when man landed on the moon, watching on B&W TV... my landlords went to bed. 40 years later I watched the anniversary celebrations and footage from the penal colony aka Australia (Cairns in fact)

I am OLD

3. druck Silver badge

I was 15 months old, and being bathed on the living room table while my parents watched man set foot on the moon. A few months before was the first flight of Concorde, the engines of which my father worked on. It's 48 years since humans since humans left the moon and 17 years since the end of supersonic passenger flights.

I grew up with those dreams of space travel and that anything was possible, I really don't know what my children have got to inspire them.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Alien

I saw the "video"

It looks like they're using an earlier version of Kerbal Space Program

7. 2+2=5 Silver badge

Fake fake fakety-fake

This is clearly a fake of epic proportions. There's no sound of the actual drilling taking place!

1. Spherical Cow

Re: Fake fake fakety-fake

Everyone knows the speed of sound is much slower than the speed of light: we have the video, but the audio hasn't reached Earth yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022