back to article Infused with the spirit of Christmas, TalkTalk decides to extend cut-off deadline for Business email domain

TalkTalk Business customers (at least those using the talktalkbusiness.net email domain) opened the second door of their advent calendars this morning and were rewarded with... an extension to the switch-off date. Originally scheduled for culling on 4 January 2021, the legacy email domain servers on the receiving end of @ …

1. Kevin Johnston

Maybe they could....

Such a shame that a communications company is showing itself so bad at managing communications, yet so typical. I just wonder how hard it would be for TalkTalk to offer a service to autoforward mail to an address chosen by the customer (that would be the person who has been giving you money for this service). Something like that should only require minimal hardware/cost but gets you maximum brownie points. You could even leave it running for several months to ensure and effective transition period and earn even more brownie points. Soon you could have enough to pay off the debt of one poor decision.

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

Re: Maybe they could....

I wonder if this double announcement is not part of the communication strategy:

- First, scare customers, so they get the message loud and clear

- Next, offer them some relievement for free, making the company looking like the good guys after all.

2. TheProf
      Happy

I just checked my very old and in no way maintained by me tiscali.co.uk email address and it's still forwarding mail to my current account.

1. General Purpose Silver badge
        Happy

I just emailed one of my free lineone.net addresses from the other one. Yes, successfully.

2. Robert Grant Silver badge

Tiscali! We had them. And LineOne.

No idea where the emails went, though.

2. Flywheel

Web site broken?

I just tried to go to https://talktalkbusiness.net and got this message. Was there ever a site there, or just an email domain?

This site can’t be reached talktalkbusiness.net took too long to respond

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Web site broken?

On doing a nslookup, it does have an A-record pointing to an IP address in addition to the MX and TXT records. NMapping that to see whether there's anything running on it which responds to pings is left to the reader.

talktalkbusiness.net internet address = 62.24.248.135

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: Web site broken?

Not every internet domain name needs to have a Web server on it.

http://www.talktalkbusiness.net/

Still doesn't work, but it differently doesn't work.

It looks to me like it might be designed to go ....net/customername/index.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022