back to article New study: DNS spoofing doubles in six years ... albeit from the point of naff all

Boffins from the University of Southern California's Information Sciences Institute have crunched six years and four months of data, and found that DNS spoofing, while uncommon, has doubled during that time. "We show that spoofing today is rare, occurring only in about 1.7 per cent of observations," explain Lan Wei, a doctoral …

1. Steve Graham

Easy...

Why not have a DNS resolver built into your browser that pipes all queries to a TOTALLY TRUSTWORTHY server over HTTPS? What could possibly go wrong?

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: Easy...

Well, it's better than nothing, so I use it. But not with the default provider...

2. Claptrap314 Silver badge

You need a troll icon for the irony-impaired.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Irony or not, it would still be an improvement. I'd much rather have a big company collecting my DNS queries (similar to what they already do through ads, beacons, etc.) than getting redirected to a malware site, or an identical-looking site that I'm going to log into...

2. Ben Tasker
    Stop

> The paper points out that there's a protocol called DNSSEC that provides some protection against spoofing.

I've not read the paper, so I'm only going on El Reg's writeup, but it looks to me like DNSSEC provides little protection here.

They seem to generally be talking about the DNS servers that clients use - the recursors - deliberately or otherwise (i.e. the user might think they've configured 8.8.8.8 but it's being intercepted).

If so, DNSSEC is bugger all use to protect against spoofing at that level. DNSSEC is validated by the recursor, not the client. So if myevil.recursor is intercepting your queries before they reach 8.8.8.8 it doesn't really matter whether the domain in the QNAME has DNSSEC enabled or not, I'm hardly going to configure my interceptor to validate it, particularly if I'm intending to spoof responses.

What DNSSEC does protect against is someone intercepting the recursor's upstream queries and returning their own responses, so if you're running your own recursor locally, you'll get some protection (that's not most users), or if someone upstream of your provider intercepts queries to an authoritative, you should be safe.

I _believe_ validation in DANE happens on the client though, so that would be some protection if it were supported

3. vtcodger Silver badge

Really?

I hope I'm misreading the article. What I think I read is that 1.7% of DNS queries are spoofed and that's a small number. So, no current concern. But why would one hijack a DNS query unless one had malign intent? Are they really saying that nearly one in 50 of my DNS queries will route me to some nasty site and I don't need to worry my pretty little head about that unless/until the situation gets worse?

1. Blake Davis

Re: Really?

I think you're misreading: "...commonly done at coffee shops and hotels that provide internet access through a captive portal."

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Really?

The 1.7% is more concentrated. Some places make it nearly 100%, and some places make it 0%. The places with 100% usually spoof the answer with the correct answer. However, they sometimes choose not to, usually when the correct answer is "don't know that one" and they instead substitute "how about these ads". Their infrastructure for that purpose can also be used to censor something at a later point should they decide they want to do so.

A note: although a lot of ISPs do redirect unknown domains to an ad system, it does not necessarily follow that all of them spoof to do so. Many only do so if the user doesn't change away from the ISP-supplied DNS servers. That approach is annoying, but not the kind of violation of trust that spoofing does.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"about 1.7 per cent"

So, seven years ago it was at 0.85%.

And it's mostly in Indonesia and Iran. And that likely means government meddling, so not much of a choice for the people there.

So not really a widespread problem then, is it ?

5. Gene Cash Silver badge

FTFY

It may be done by internet service providers to respond to DNS queries more quickly inject ads

I filed a FCC complaint against Spectrum and I got a response saying it's ok because everyone else does it.

It broke some SAMBA scripts that relied on no-such-host to redirect to WINS resolution. Spectrum resolved everything to their shit adware site.

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: FTFY

For that particular case, just resolve their shit adware site's ip address to NXDOMAIN.

6. hayzoos

For those who missed the sarcasm of the first post, a browser doing it's own DNS circumvents a system level configuration. Remember, the Internet is not the WWW. So now you have a system where DNS queries are going to different locations depending on how client software is configured, very messy, overly complicated, and ripe for failure.

I had a problem with Charter blocking DNS going outside their network. That is not OK for an ISP where endpoint equipment is owned by their customers who pay for internet connectivity. It's fine for a company that owns the endpoint equipment and the network. I managed to have that problem resolved in a single phone call, albeit a long phone call with many transfers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like