back to article MongoDB loses its mind with marketing budget movie mania: Yep, it's choose-your-own-adventure Hackers with drop-down menus

MongoDB has just found out what it can spend the marketing budget on, if not the usual fodder of canapés and international flights. The company you thought was just a common-or-garden NoSQL database slinger has turned out to be a bigshot movie producer. Or something. It has made a choose-your-own-adventure flick in the same …

1. Jonathan Richards 1
    Thumb Up

You watched so I don't have to...

for which, my heartfelt thanks.

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: You watched so I don't have to...

I wish they'd read the summary for me too and provided a summary of the summary.

Paris because I feel stupider than I did five minutes ago

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

The article should read, in its entirety:

"MongoDB's latest marketing ploy is cheap chose your own adventure which, surprise, shows MongoDB is the solution. Total dreck."

2. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

I fear that it is not just a feeling.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I second that.

Just reading the review made my head spin.

What dreck.

2. sorry, what?
    Facepalm

Wish I could upvote the comment at the end of the article...

What were they thinking?!

3. Howard Sway Silver badge

She doesn't test her software and there's data corruption

At least that aspect of hipster tech startups was true.

But it's bullshit like this that causes the problem in the first place. Stop trying to attract people into tech by trying to make out that it's glamorous and cool please, it pollutes the job market with lazy privileged wannabes who don't have the real interest and aptitude to properly learn the craft.

1. NullNix

Re: She doesn't test her software and there's data corruption

Back when I was working for excessively boring bottom-of-the-barrel no-name City firms... well, one of them decided to make a superhero graphic novel. Because *obviously* wrestling with databases is *just like* causing massive property damage in the streets of Manhattan.

Somewhere, some poor sod had to draw multiple frames of a character in a superhero costume... sitting at a keyboard doing electronic stock trading. HEROIC!

4. Mike 137 Silver badge

A last resort?

Desperate attempts to attract attention, just like all those instagram "influencers". Shouting louder than the crowd used to get you noticed, but now so many people are shouting all at once that nobody can shout loud enough to be heard. Saving one's breath has the same result already.

5. Graham43723

Is it webscale?

6. BlueSteel545
    Thumb Down

Laughably Bad

This is so devoid of any true character or creativity. A shame to see money thrown away on prioritizing pretty visuals instead of the product itself. You would think somebody in the room at MongoDB would know this wouldn't actually resonate with a developer audience, but here we are...

1. Blackjack Silver badge

Re: Laughably Bad

Look an ad agency made this.

Remember what happens when an Ad agency tries to make a Tv show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzeGdilI3Ek

Apparently MongoDB didn't.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like