back to article The Nord N10 is OnePlus's cheapest 5G handset and, boy, does it show

With a price tag of £329, OnePlus's latest 5G phone is also its cheapest. From the polished design to the solid day-to-day performance, there's some things to rave about with the Nord N10. And yet we're not going to do that. Not yet. OnePlus's timing couldn't be much worse. The N10 arrives as 5G phones crash in price. Just …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Realme 7 5G

realme, is it now?

2. djstardust

Oh dear

They're turning in to Samsung. A new phone literally every other week. Quantity over quality. Bad move.

1. Boothy

Re: Oh dear

Yes, this one puzzles me, they'd already released the initial Nord, which I can understand, as their main phones are now quite pricy, so it lets them cover the lower (ok mid) part of the market.

But why bring out another Nord, so soon after the launch of the first one, at only a relatively small discount to the first Nord, but with what seems like compromised hardware!?

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: Oh dear

Yeah like what is the S20 5G 'Fan edition' all about? They're going absolutely crazy and their offerings are starting to make no sense. I have been dead against having an iPhone since smart phones existed, I'm starting to get slowly tempted to the dark side because Samsung keep screwing me over dropping prices so soon after launch or including expensive free gifts not long after I've bought a phone from them. I've learnt my lesson and the S20 5G I have might be the last Samsung I own.

3. Baudwalk

Are 4GB...

... classified as "little" memory in a phone, these days?

Chr*st al-effin-mighty!

SW devs need to step back and... well, I would have said optimise, but if a phone needs 6GB of RAM to not be sluggish, it's beyond optimisation to fix, it's more like time to “unlearn what you have learned".

1. schmeckles65

Re: Are 4GB...

They need extra memory for the additional analytics suite they run on their apps to ensure they are pushing the right content to you. /s

2. jason 7

Re: Are 4GB...

I think for some reason reviewers feel that all phones are also supposed to be games consoles and therefore review them solely from that angle. Due to them also getting all the new phones to review their perception is skewed as they are then trying to make out the version from 6 months previously is seriously obsolete.

For those of us that never game (or even watch movies) on their phones this seems most odd.

You know...a phone is well...kinda a phone.

4. Rabbit80

Storage

"We also appreciated the 128GB base storage, which can be expanded to 512GB with a MicroSD card."

I don't recall seeing any 384GB memory cards for sale.. seems a rather odd limitation of this phone.

1. Huw D

Re: Storage

I'm glad someone else had that thought. I didn't want to be having a "WTF" moment on my own.

5. Chz

Panel

"Sadly, OnePlus immediately loses those points by opting for an LCD panel"

How many sub-£300 phones have an OLED panel? I'm pretty sure it's just the low-end Samsung, which is gimped in other ways to make up for it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like