back to article Facebook sues to shut down alleged Instagram clone maker over scraping and sharing personal info for cash

Facebook on Thursday sued Ensar Sahinturk, a software developer based in Istanbul, Turkey, who is alleged to have built a network of sites that scrape data from Instagram to create Insta-clones. The company's complaint [PDF], filed in the Northern District Federal court of California in Oakland, claims that Sahinturk used …

1. quartzz

anything that turns instagram into a useable website, from the absolute. mess. it is at the moment. is a good thing

which won't happen....insta will just hold onto it's #sellhashtags even more

2. Victor Ludorum
    WTF?

I'm sorry?

The company contends it is entitled to cybersquatting damages amounting to $100,000 per domain name

$100k per domain? Because they end in -gram?

Is someone having a laugh?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Falmari Silver badge

Don't make data public

If Facebook do not want the data scraped don't make it public.

Also scraping data is what search engines businesses are built on, like Google, Bing etc.

4. Chris G

How awful

To have nefarious individuals searching the internet and scraping your data without express permission, and then compounding the offence by making money out of it that you feel should rightfully be yours.

1. quartzz

Re: How awful

instagrams 128 (not verified) page Ts & C's. state that any data you upload to them, they can use

unless the "your" in "your" data means instagram.....in which case I fully support donations to unregulated social media corps

also....."you feel is rightfully yours" - has no relevence in law, at all. it's yours in law (which can usually be overturned by their lawyers), or it isn't

there might be an /s in your post...;-)

5. Spiz

Fair play to the guy. Anyone who pisses Zuck off is a hero in my book.

(Oh no I used the word "book"! I'll expect the lawyers any moment!)

6. mark l 2 Silver badge

"including jolygram.com, imggram.com, imggram.net, finalgram.com, ingram.ws, and pikdo.net."

None of those domains mention the trademark Instagram in them, so I fail to see how they are cybersquatting. The word gram has been around since the metric system was created in the 18th century so its unlikely Zuckerberg had anything to do with it, although no doubt he will probably try and claim he did.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: The word gram has been around since the metric system was created in the 18th century

A bit longer than that, the '-gram' / '-gramme' suffix comes from the ancient Greek suffix '-gramma', meaning what is written or which is drawn, and has been used in English for a lot longer than 2 two centuries [citation needed, didn't bother, yadda yadda]

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could the article clarify

The legal principle that allows Facebook to file the claim in California? Do they allege that that's where the loss occurred?

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

Alleged perp is in Turkey

Well, that’s Zuck stuffed

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't this just sincere flattery

"Mark E. Zuckerberg ’06 said he was accused of breaching security, violating copyrights and violating individual privacy by creating the website, www.facemash.com, about two weeks ago."

-- https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2003/11/19/facemash-creator-survives-ad-board-the/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like