back to article International infosec rules delivered to make nations and non-state actors behave themselves online

The Global Commission on the Stability of Cyberspace (GCSC), a group that works to develop policy the world can follow to keep the internet stable and secure, late last week delivered a final report that outlines its vision for how the nations of the world should behave online. The GCSC exists because its founders and …

1. veti Silver badge

"Commission"?

That's all very well, but who exactly are these people? They call themselves a "Commission" - who commissioned them, specifically? Who is going to champion these standards?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: "Commission"?

Near as I can tell they are yet another group of do-gooders, out to protect us all from ourselves because they know what's best for all of humanity.

Read their proposed norms ... Sounds like something a "modern" "progressive" school might draw up to keep forms 4RW and 4DC from constantly feuding over whatever 4th year kids have been feuding over since the year dot ...

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Go

You want a "commission"? Just select a bunch of commentards from the El Reg comments sections. I see more sensible comments here than anywhere else.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

DuckDuckGo* is your friend: https://cyberstability.org/about/

*Other search engines are available.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A group of EU policy wonks looking for something to do and didn’t have the talent to get an academic job. Being a “Commission” makes them sound important and powerful – like the American Mafia “Commission”.

2. jake Silver badge
    Pint

"a final report that outlines its vision"

The final report? Really? THE final report!

THE FINAL REPORT!!!!

We can all sleep ever so soundly now, the FINAL REPORT has been delivered!

Beers all around!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: "a final report that outlines its vision"

Now I won't have to worry about my data being stolen. I'm sure all nations and non-state actors will update their policies and practices immediately.

2. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Re: "a final report that outlines its vision"

The same can be said for achieving a degree, the race is won, the finishing line crossed.

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

Possible but unlikely to be effective

"it will become possible to paint those who use the Net as a weapon as acting outside acceptable standards of behaviour"

Labelling any nation as "naughty" has never so far reduced its desire for supremacy or its propensity for harmful action to that end. Initiatives of this kind are understandable, but, sadly, not very likely to succeed.

1. tfewster
      Facepalm

Re: Possible but unlikely to be effective

A lovely dream, but I can't see the NSA or GCHQ signing up to this, and I can't see this "commission"calling them out for it either.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Possible but unlikely to be effective

And besides, take the USA, Russia and China.

I wouldn't trust any of those countries to sign up to this initiative and actually mean it.

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Jumping Off the Fence into the Thick of IT .......

Whenever one can equate and accept cyberspace policies as new electromagnetic spectrum strategies, and non state actors as a private commercial sector with master pilot and/or pirate type enterprises on active operations, one does need to be genuinely creative and radically inclusive* rather than exclusive and wannabe elitist in order to gain or remain relevant in any novel field of almighty endeavour ...... but it will never be because it was agreed to by any committee.

And you can bet your shirt on the fact that the Pentagon realises that. for it not as if they are not so advised in publications, is it. However, what they might actually effectively do with that dump/pump/sort of information/intelligence is most probably best imagined, whenever effective, a closely guarded, admirable secret ....... :-) as is the way of the likes of a military defence business operation based anywhere.

GrahamC [2011021430] ....... commenting on https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2020/10/29/pentagon-unveils-new-electromagnetic-spectrum-strategy

Re: Pentagon Unveils New Electromagnetic Spectrum Strategy

"Some U.S. officials have expressed concerns about opening up portions of the electromagnetic spectrum used by the Defense Department to commercial companies on the grounds that it could potentially interfere with military systems and operations."

It is certainly guaranteed to do at least that, but the DoD has no choice other than to engage with the private commercial sector, and pirate enterprises too, if they wish to remain anywhere near the leading edge of future developments with any sort of meaningful impact being made available to them, for such is the dynamic virile nature of the beast they need to husband and harness nowadays.

Indeed, there was a recent time whenever such appeared to be in vogue in No 10 and the Cabinet Office and with Tory toffs but quite what eventually subsequently happened there to that initiative inviting "Weirdos and misfits with odd skills ... Unusual software developers ..... Great project managers ..... deep experts on TV and digital and if you’ve done something weird, this may be the place for you, super-talented weirdos is somewhat unclear :-) ...... and if currently scuppered, rather than being armed and deployed, must surely be classed as yet another resounding epic fail.

And one would then be duty bound to ask ...... Is there something in the water at Downing Street that renders such madness and mayhem in conflict with CHAOS ....... Clouds Hosting Advanced Operating Systems?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Jumping Off the Fence into the Thick of IT .......

And re above screed, one would like think it something freely shared eventually almost immediately with/for Five Eyes allies at least for them also to further consider and ponder upon ‽ .

It is not as if there are no Ready UKGBNI Facilities and Utilities to Engage and Explore with/Embrace and Expand in/Import and Export with, for there are at least two activated and available ...... National Offensive Cyber Programme (NOCP) and UK National Cyber Force (NCF)

5. BillySugger

What is "basic cyber hygiene" supposed to mean?

Perhaps this Global Commission should try to define their terminology?

1. jake Silver badge

Cyber Hygiene is when you practice Safe Hex.

So I guess basic cyber hygiene is when you can PEEK but not POKE?

6. sitta_europea Silver badge

Interesting uses of SHOULD and MUST in these norms. A bit like an RFC but without the caps.

7. Blackjack Silver badge

The poor GCSC will be ignored

Governments will never stop doing those kind of things, is like asking for people to stop pirating music and or games.

8. Cliff Thorburn

Well I have noticed my most recent posts have been rejected recently ...

Clear Favourite Here ....

Well I have noticed my most recent posts have been rejected recently ... .... Cliff Thorburn

An obvious question to ask then, CT, is that because they are revered or reviled? Only the one answer will be pleasing and pleasant in pretty much equal measure.

If you can answer that truthfully yourself, it pretty well steers your current course of action to where it belongs and is much appreciated, revealing as it would so much about what can be planned for.

1. Cliff Thorburn

Re: Clear Favourite Here ....

I remain confident that justice will be done amFM, especially with the changing of the guard, persistent gaslighting for a significant number of years cannot change a mind armed with physical proof to remind a mind clouded by targeted propaganda.

After all, three things cannot be hidden, the sun, moon and the truth.

Re: Clear Favourite Here ....

'Tis always so, and well proven to be the right minded case every time it is disputed or denied, CT.

For some is that a simple lesson they find it impossible to learn or accept, which is most odd, given the grief which they then have to embrace and endure and pretend does not exist.

Do you think that suggests they are more than just a bit mad and/or sad and/or bad and/or seriously ill and worthy of useless pity?

9. Claptrap314 Silver badge

LT;DR...

"The organisation is pragmatic enough to believe ... But ... also feel ..."

What more needs to be said? They know better, but they don't like it, so they're trying to act like it isn't so.

10. You aint sin me, roit
    Holmes

Yeay, so wot yer gonna do about it?

Aren't all of those things frowned upon already? And yet still they continue.

As with any immoral activity, bad people will be bad unless you can stop them.

So what is the GCSC going to do? Apart from talk about it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like