back to article Intel is over GPUs and CPUs – it's all about 'XPUs' now that OneAPI code-abstraction tool is golden

Intel would prefer developers stop talking about CPUs and GPUs and instead target "XPUs". The word about Chipzilla's new preferences came as it formally launched the OneAPI abstraction layer that lets applications tap whatever available resources are most appropriate to its needs, be that a CPU, a GPU, or an FPGA, from one …

1. J27

New confusing nomenclature in an attempt to confuse customers into thinking their chips are competitive? Not Intel, no way....

1. NeilPost

Considering from a great height Apple completely shat all over Intel on Tuesday with Apple Silicon M1 and 5nm (sub-contracted) output.... Intel should be professionally fucking embarrassed.

Esp. as Intel XScale was in this marketplace 15 years ago before flogging too Marvell in 2006 to concentrate on X86 mobility.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Solves the AMD problem...

Well... it looked as though AMD was slaughtering Intel in the GPU and CPU category. Luckily they have nothing in the XPU class.

3. volsano

Bye?

Intel signalling they are leaving the processor market by selling ex-processing units.

1. DCFusor

Re: Bye?

Lots of people wish they could sell their ex...

1. FrankAlphaXII
        Devil

I'm not enough of a bastard to want to inflict my ex on anyone else. I'm slightly mean, but I'm not sadistic.

2. big_D Silver badge
      Coat

It's just resting!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This looks like a soup-stone exercise - using the same design in as many ways as possible.

At a guess the GPU device is the part that has been introduced as a laptop add-on GPU and will appear on low-end discrete graphics cards next year. And that seems to be very very similar to the Tiger Lake GPU.

It's probably much easier to share one low-end GPU across ~10 users, than gang them together to scale performance.

5. Spacedinvader
    Headmaster

My arse would have collapsed...

"The new device packs four AMD GPUs into a single card"

Icon, nuff said

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

CUDA is proprietary, Intel's new "thing" is proprietary

OpenCL is not and has been around for a while

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like