back to article More evidence your work/life balance has gone to $%£*: Atlassian says user-interface interactions show hours tacked on to workday

An Atlassian data scientist has published research gleaned from the company's analytics, that points to work-life balance being skewed thanks to the surge in remote working. The publication follows other reports confirming that for many, the 9 – 5 grind is a thing of the past as boundaries blur and work seems to expand to fill …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not me ...

My boss wants me to work longer than prescribed hours will pay overtime or else he can go forth and multiply.

I wasted time doing work during my time and got nothing for it so, to put it politely, fuck'em.

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: Not me ...

If you're an exempt employee in the US -- salaried, in other words -- you don't have regular work hours and you don't get paid overtime. These days you work to keep your job, its as simple as that.

2. NeilPost

But I raised JIRA’s to post the hours I went to Tesco and later the school run.

Kanban board that !!

3. big_D Silver badge

We turn off our company phones when we leave the office and we can leave the company laptop at work.

If we are in home office, we still have to keep to the 8 hours in our contracts, if you do more than the 8 hours, questions will be asked about why and why it couldn't be done on the next working day.

A new acquisition needs weekend support. My manager explicitly said, until the compensation package has been agreed with the board, we aren't to do any out of hours support.

(Obviously there are times, like new server farms being installed, new switches, ERP updates etc. that can't be done during normal office hours. But once the work is completed, we have to work shorter hours, until our overtime is back to 0.)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wonder how Atlassian accounted for the fact that their crappy JIRA software often doesn't work so by the time you get it to work, it's late at night.

2. cornetman Silver badge

I must admit that measuring the first and last events is highly suspect.

We have a lot of people working from home here and I know for a fact that, for many, working from home affords a more flexible attitude to working hours.

Longer lunch break, the opportunity to do the shopping when it is quieter during the weekday, doing more activities with the kids and then working later in the evening.

I have no doubt that for some, there are more work hours being done, but I would be very suspicious of drawing too much from those statistics.

1. Mark 110

I'm with you on this one. Due to the nasty nature of my commute pre-Covid (Liverpool <> Knutsford) my day used to be:

6am Alarm

7am Leave House

8-8.30am Logon

20 min lunch

4-4.30 Leave desk

5.30-6.30 (Depending on whether anyone had decided to break one of the motorway junctions by playing bumper cars) Get home

Now its a lot lot easier but I log on before 7often and am sometimes still logged on at 6.

But I take 'a-Rhodesian-Ridgeback-is-for-life-not-just-for-Covid' out for the best part of an hour once the sun is coming up and again for 90 mins before the sun goes down.

And my weekends are now free of laundry and housework.

I do not miss the motorways. At all. Much better to be having fun in the park with my pup.

1. big_D Silver badge

Yes, I used to have something similar.

5 am get up

6 am drive to work

8 am log on.

45 minutes lunch.

7 pm drive home

9 pm arrive home

rinse and repeat.

Or living 5 - 7 nights a week in hotels.

2. NeilPost

Stuff they are not measuring... so it apparently doesn’t happen.

The sheer waste of time travelling to/from work is never mentioned but as far as I am concerned that is unpaid work.... which you fund out of your own pocket for the transport.

3. elkster88
    Big Brother

Work is work, and my home life is my own

I suppose I could be accused of being a 'clockwatcher' but the idea of responding to work calls and emails outside of work hours is a complete non-starter for me.

Voicemail and email is there for those times I am not 'at work', even when I'm working from home. Once you start down that slippery slope of essentially being on-call at all waking hours, it's hard to claw your personal time back. Before the pandemic, I might have taken my laptop home with me less than a half-dozen times in 5 years, while my co-workers did nearly every night. Still don't understand that mindset.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Work is work, and my home life is my own

Responding outside of hours... Then you are like me, you don't mind having a peek at the stack of email that has come in since 5pm, but do not respond. I like to know what shit storm I may see at 8am...

I will respond to messages from my team after hours, but not user cries for assistance.

2. NeilPost

Sounds like your laptop needs to go to someone more deserving. Desktop for you.

3. wolfetone Silver badge
      Pint

Hear hear.

Have a monday morning pint from me.

4. Pete 39

Pub!

"You're probably reading this on your work laptop when you should have been down the pub"

Please tell me and the rest of the UK where?

1. You aint sin me, roit
      Pint

Re: Pub!

Pssst... try Wales ;)

5. Bitsminer Silver badge

Elephant in the room

It's a joke when Atlassian, of all companies, makes statistical inferences about use of their products.

The activities captured included events such as creating a document or commenting on a code review.

The time spent clicking, and waiting and waiting, then clicking again 5 times (with attendant waiting), to get a simple Jira issue opened, or cross-linked, or a report written is just too much. Jira is such a piece of 1990s work. Yuch.

It's no wonder people have to work longer. They are waiting for Jira to catch up to their slow human reflexes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Elephant in the room

- Error message saying it lost the token and attachments may be lost or somesuch nonsense.

- Click retry.

- Retry fails.

- Refresh.

- Not allowed to see ticket. Told to log in but not given a username and password prompt.

- Click on login in the top right, fill in login fields (or browser autofill), click on submit.

- Now hit back in the browser history to go back to the ticket.

- Refresh to get a new token.

- Retype comment.

Repeat this nonsense three times a day.

By the way, in the 1990s there were simple textboxes. This has some customised slow edit box which screws up styles too.

6. tiggity Silver badge

Made me smile

"managers should check in on the well-being of their team and include chitchat about outside-work activities as well as encouraging staff to actually use those end-of-day reminders."

Being over optimistic that many (not all, some are OK) managers care.

1. NeilPost

Re: Made me smile

Perhaps ensure Human Resources have a Display Screen Assessment (DSE) on file too !!!

... ‘VDU assessment’ in old money.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Commutes

My friends with an office job who have been made to work remotely do not exactly miss the daily commute to work and, as already said, are often quite free to take a break in the middle of the day.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: Commutes

I miss my commute and heading into the office every day. I can't wait for things to return somewhere near normal again.

1. NeilPost

Re: Commutes

Do you miss the cost of the commute??

For those stable/WFH... like a free pay rise.

I’m not going back to the office after this - staying WFH - so taken the opportunity to trade down on vehicles.

8. aldolo

switch off to do what?????

buried in home and alone. better to keep the lapton switched on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like