back to article Vivo pushes out X51 5G: Chipper whippersnapper, quite a battery-sapper, but at least the wrapper's dapper

First impressions are important, and the X51 5G is Vivo's inaugural device for the crowded European smartphone market. It's a solid early effort, winning points on differentiation alone. The headline feature of this phone is a camera apparatus that includes gimbal-like stabilisation, allowing the user to capture shake-free …

1. Cuddles

ROM?

"The X51 5G comes with 8GB RAM and 256GB ROM"

That doesn't sound very useful. Wouldn't it be better if it came with storage you could actually write to?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: ROM?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Some of us slip into ROM as a shorthand for 'storage in the device' a la the olden days when your OS and system software came on ROM chips. It's fixed.

Don't forget to email corrections@theregister.com if you spot anything wrong.

C.

2. six_tymes

explain why so many media reviews complain about the lack of the headphone jack? the idea is for people to move on, and embrace Bluetooth

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

It's a good idea for a review to mention whether the device has a headphone socket or not.

Whether the viewer has a positive, neutral or negative view is of secondary importance after he's given us the information.

Bluetooth isn't the only alternative to a 3.5 mm socket... USB C DACs can offer superior audio quality over most phones, Chromecast Audio offers convenience and better sound quality than Bluetooth.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Because I won't buy a phone if it doesn't have a jack. I'm tired of BT and dead batteries when I NEED it.

3. Dr_N
      Megaphone

six_tymes> and embrace Bluetooth

But when your BT headphones battery runs out?

Ah, perhaps that explains the prevalence if people just using their phone with the loudspeaker max'd to 11?

4. Daniel M

A physical headphone jack is necessary to provide a usable FM antenna for any mobiles that have the circuit enabled. Conversely, I would assume that the FM radio circuit is disabled if there is no jack.

5. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      FAIL

The main reason the press comments about the traditional headphone jack is that many consumers continue to want a goddamn headphone jack. With regular wired headphones, you don't have to worry about dead batteries or whether the suspiciously-merry Bluetooth fairies have come in the night and decided that (ha-ha!) your Bluetooth headphones will suddenly choose today of all days to refuse to pair, no matter how you threaten or beg, whereas regular headphones are a) cheap, b) ubiquitous, and c) just fucking work, which of course meant the tech industry had to dispense with them so they could jam like fifteen goddamn cameras, facial recognition, and a USB-powered anal probe into your cell phone.

Go on, ask about replaceable batteries next.

1. Barry Rueger

Upvote for that. I honestly don't understand why Bluetooth is so unreliable. Different phones, different cars and devices, and there's just no way of predicting whether the thing will pair or need mucking about.

The current favorite is our Fiat 500 which, seven times out of ten, needs NINE keypresses to pair.

That's after leaving the paired phone IN THE PARKED CAR while shopping.

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
          Happy

Obligatory

XKCD

2. tiggity Silver badge

Wish I could upvote that more than once!

6. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

This isn't about moving on, it's about inconvenience. BT earpieces are simply a hassle and the sound quality is always worse than a comparable wired headphone.

Sometimes companies just don't get it. The idea is to make a product that people WANT, not force-feeding customers something they DON'T want.

7. tiggity Silver badge

headphone jack is low battery usage, bog standard headphones are cheap as chips (BT ones, not so much). Partner has insomnia & wears headphones to help get to sleep & stay asleep, playing relaxing music at low volume, Obviously, moving around in bed (asleep is not still!) , takes its toll on headphones as they can get damaged - but at least replacement is cheap. Other key advantage is phone battery easily manages the whole night.

An odd use case - but don't assume there's not lots of people with other "odd\" reasons (e.g. cheap headphones good if you run a lot in UK & music listen as you jog, as rainy climate means headphones tend to get water damage eventually & jack based headphones again cheap to replace & don't kill your battery.

3. Tom Chiverton 1

And how big is it?

1. Dr_N

Nothing is under 15cm any more. Apart from the Pixel 4a.

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Alert

That's a rather personal question.

3. gurugeorge

That’s what she said.

4. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Size

It's in the article. It's 158 x 72 x 8 mm (6.24 x 2.87 x 0.31 in) and has a 6.56-inch display.

C.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

X50 Lite might have been a good decision

Looking at the X51 specs.... it seems not much has improved from the X50 lite/pro, except for 5G, which I can't get at work or home for the forseeable future. Sounds like the battery life got worse too. Disclaimer: I have the X50 lite and use the headphone jack all the time, for reasons basement dwellers might not be able to comprehend.

5. mark l 2 Silver badge

I am surprised it doesn't come with Android 11 since Vivo were the first to get a phone out with the newest OS version last month with the V20.

Having newer owned a Vivo phone I don't know what they are like at providing support for a handset after its being released, are they likely to provide an Android 11 update and continue to offer security patches? Or will you be on your own once the phone is replaced by a newer model?

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Meh

Nord comparison.

Vivo tries to make up for this by instilling the phone with a relatively generous amount of RAM.

Except the Nord also comes with 8Gb in it's base version, or 12Gb in the pricier one. Ok, only 128Gb of storage on the base object but, if that's not enough, you could buy a large memory card to pad the Nord out (hey, expandable storage!) and still have enough left in the kitty for a meal and drinks for four at a decent restaurant.

1. Timmy B

Re: Nord comparison.

OH has a Nord and despite some teething issues solved by firmware updates, it's a great value phone. Easily doing everything a normal phone user needs. It will also take some brilliant photos - in particular she's been very pleased by the colour on some recent pictures of autumn trees.

7. gurugeorge

Honestly I would expect better from the reg. What’s the point of an unqualified statement like “camera is good at videos and low-light images” on a review of an £800 phone? Seriously WTF is the point of that statement without actually testing DXO/lux rating (or at least referring to it), sample low light images, or comparing competitors pics eg Samsung/Huawei/iPhone. Doesn’t even mention the sensor or pixel size. I think a smart 14-year-old could do a better review, and there are many that do. Just go onto YouTube and look at low light camera comparisons between Samsung and iPhone. There are 14-year-olds who scientifically compare Low light images, video, resolution, and discuss sensor and pixel sizes, video stabilization etc. this literally reads like a PR stunt. Matthew Hughes? Come on dude you have a computer science degree! Use it! You code in python for fun! You’re the kind of guy I would have a beer with invite invite to my house. I know you can do better than this. On the plus side “ would be well-suited to producing the kind of career ending Instagram snaps made during a debauched night on the town.” was actually quite funny.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I believe photography reviews websites such as dpreview.com have reviewed this phone with an emphasis on the camera performance.

This Reg article made me aware that this gimbal camera phone exists. Before going out and dropping £800 on it, I would read reviews across a few more websites.

1. PTW

But el reg has previously included many, many sample pictures when reviewing a phone, and as stated, if they're going to specifically make a point of the cameras some samples would be nice

8. AIBailey

Erm.... what?

6.56-inch AMOLED display...... a resolution of 1,080x2,376...... not particularly high-res

Since when was over 400 pixels per inch suitable for consideration as "not particularly high res"?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Resolution

It's relatively low-res. It works out at 398 PPI, which isn't as high as others. Even the Pixel 3 had a PPI >400.

C.

9. Zebo-the-Fat

It's a phone

It's a phone so why no mention of it's sensitivity, sound quality etc?

10. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

Punch hole again

I'm still waiting for smartphones with a pop-up selfie camera. I hate punch holes in the display.

My next phone will have a pop-up or under-display selfie cam, that's for sure.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Punch hole again

Amount of times selfie camera used on any phone I have ever possessed...

Zero

.. as it should be for anyone who's older than a teenager

11. GlasshalfHull

Same SoC as a Pixel 5 or Pixel 4a (5G) so why choose this over those?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like