back to article Cops aren't normally the most 'agile' of folk, but that's exactly what London's Metropolitan Police Service would like to be

London's Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) is on the hunt for an IT service oufit to help run its sprawling application estate in a contract that could be worth up to £350m. The agreement, which is for five years initially, is looking for a supplier to help with "the effective support of applications within the MPS estate, to …

1. macjules

The "towers model"

That would be the "towers model" as in "Grenfell"? Or, "Just employ Capita"?

2. Chris G

Agile?

They could try getting out of their cars occasionally.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Agile?

Weren't the Sweeney fairly agile? I suppose that was then & this is now.

3. Dinanziame Silver badge
    Trollface

Oh yeah, they should totally use Scrum. And Kanban.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Joke

You can't forget AI & Blockchain...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The fact the police

Keep giving me unsecure wiped USB sticks they got given by another victim (and never gave them the USB stick back) leaves me with little hope. The last stick I had I did a restore on it and found past CCTV footage another victim must of given them.

I make sure I secure wipe the sticks. Encrypt them, then add the footage they request.

5. Korev Silver badge
    Holmes

Between 2015 and 2017, MPS awarded its service integration and management to Atos, network services to BT, data centres services to Keysource, and hosting and end-user services to DXC.

Sounds like a recipe for Blame Storming...

The Met probably need some help to make sense of it from 221B Baker Street's finest -->

6. Tempest
    Thumb Down

Bring On The Technology - It Makes Plod More Susceptible / Vulnerable

Although based in the Far East I support the 'First Amendment Auditors' aka 'The Cop Watchers' in the USA with technology, a movement that ís gaining ground in the UK and Europe, where familiar names are following money (government) money.

Take Microsoft's cop "IoT" roaming terminals on wheels, cops extra, which blends several vulnerable technologies to support their activities. The same system can be found in Singapore and South Africa.

A single person wearing a fishing jacket filled with technology can kill an IoT Vehicle. From a loudspeaker device to make audio communications impossible, an SDR to capture transmissions, or pairs of SDR transceivers, with microprocessors, to capture then jam communication channels, and flashlights / torches that temporarily blind viewers.

Next time you see a gathering of people, called a 'demonstration' in Plod parlance, look in the sky for a small fixed-wing aircraft flying circles and likely carrying equipment to capture cell data. Total wastes of tax dollars.

Little beats Plod on a bicycle armed with a whistle and a cell handset.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like