back to article Microsoft unleashes production-ready Edge Runtime. WebView2: This time it's Chromium

Fans of Microsoft's dancing developer goalposts will be delighted to learn that its latest crack at a web control, WebView2, has been declared fit for production. WebView2 is built on top of Microsoft's take on a modern browser - the Chromium-based Edge. It is also intended to be the replacement for WebView, itself based on …

1. msknight Silver badge

What to expect?

... more Microsoft garbage.

I still can't go to a completely blank new tab without what appears to be a microsoft bing search bar in the middle of the screen, and the Microsoft logo besplendent on top of it... despite taking Bing out of my search options and wanting a completely blank new tab.

There seems to be a chunk of conversation about this, but Microsoft don't want things like user preferences and wishes, getting in the way of the microsoft user experience they want people to have. Bah humbug.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What to expect?

Microsoft

The masters of :-

We know what you really want better than you

and

Do it our way or not at all.

Avoid before you get infected.

2. beep54
    Unhappy

Arrgh

My next computer will definitely be a Linux machine. I'm tired of having all my settings junked because even tho they'll let you do it, it isn't the MS way so let us fix that for you. Balls.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Arrgh

Recently I had to get my Win 7/64 machine to update Defender, so I allowed the service again.

When the update was finished and the PC rebooted, I went to shut down Windows Update, as per usual. Except now, I can't. Borkzilla has decided that me, lowly user, is not qualified to disable Windows Update, even though Borkzilla is no longer bothering to update my version.

You think you know what's best for me, Borkzilla ? So do I. It's called Linux.

God I can't wait to retire to get rid of this shit.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

thanks for the warning on that. I don't use Micros~1 "Defender" and will leave updates :PERMANENTLY OFF on all existing 7 boxen [and any new ones I might create as VMs or whatever]

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Linux

My next computer will definitely be a Linux machine

Welcome Aboard!

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Just for balance my Linux box (ok Raspberry Pi, but still Linux) completely borked after an update.

Got to remove the SD card and reconfigure a file.

Not a huge issue, apart from it's a pita to get to the PI.

3. logicalextreme Silver badge

"production-ready"

Oooh, it's moved into testing already!

1. Tom Chiverton 1 Silver badge

Re: "production-ready"

And, of course, only works with some projects, in some ways. As with any MS dev tools, best to wait a year or two, see if still around and then use them...

1. sgp Bronze badge

By then they'll be in the bin, usurped by the latest half commitment to a fad.

2. logicalextreme Silver badge

Not just dev tools. I've lost count of the number of SQL Server updates I've seen get pulled after a few hours or days, not to mention Windows Server 2019 being pulled shortly after release.

4. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Unhappy

I've never liked any 'web view' implementation Micros~1 has done

Although on the surface it seems as if a 'web view' component or C++ class would be convenient for generating a user interface, it would seem to me that they're missing the boat on this COMPLETELY.

I saw something like this creep into MFC a decade or so ago, tried it, and didn't like how it was tied in so heavily to Internet Explorer. And of course, how it is NOT portable to Linux or FreeBSD.

I've toyed with things _like_ WebKit, and the dependency hell it can cause. It's disappointing.

On an Android you can create a "web app" pretty easily, and it's all built-in. not like I really think THAT is a better solution, it's convenient for things that already exist as internet web pages [so that the "web app" basically embeds the browser page]. For a few kinds of solutions, this actually makes sense because you can literally open a specific hard-coded web page with an "app" icon that way (and sometimes that's easiest for installation).

But the general NON-PORTABILITY of this kind of web page container/class/whatever is pretty disappointing.

If there were a LIGHTWEIGHT LIBRARY for web support, I'd be interested. So far, though, I'm DISAPPOINTED.

And having to invoke "the latest bleeding 'Edge'" to make it work... no. Just no.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021