back to article If you can see this headline, you're certainly not reading it on Twitter: All tweets, notifications vanish

Twitter is right now suffering a baffling outage in that the website is still up, you can still log in, the apps will run. But there are, seemingly, no tweets nor notifications. At all. All gone. All that anger and snark, and information and misinformation, wiped off the face of the planet, just like that. Visiting your …

1. redpawn Silver badge

Got my hopes up

Checked for Trump tweets and they were there.

2. Dwarf Silver badge

API

Time for a new definition.

API - All Platform Inoperable

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"Nothing to see here,"

Well, it's Twitter. There never was anything to see.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: "Nothing to see here,"

Churnalists wouldn't agree, that's probably the only reason why it's still going.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"All tweets, notifications vanish"

And nothing of importance was lost

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: "All tweets, notifications vanish"

Another day, another million fictional anecdotes triggering another billion gullibles to express their outrage on Twitter.

Another million twitter arguments that will end with a cowardly insult followed by a block.

Another million Twitter echo chambers amplifying bias and destroying objectivity.

Another billion vacuous Twitter sycophants hoping for some crumb of acknowledgment from a celebrity narcissist.

Twitter is close behind Faecebook as the sewer of the internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Another billion vacuous Twitter sycophants

I know we all like to mock certain social networks, and certainly few compare well with the sort of intelligent informed and (usually) polite debate that you get here and on some other forums, but they do at least mostly serve a useful purpose of allowing people to keep in touch with each other.

OK, Facebook is definitely creepy and unethical in many ways, but why hasn't a good alternative emerged?

Twitter I do actually find quite useful for following newsworthy issues that don't always make the headlines (it's surprising just how few stories actually get reported on tv or radio news) or get as much scrutiny as they should in the media. Yes, you have to keep a critical eye out for fake news and overly biased perspectives, but isn't that the case anywhere?

I'm also giving Mastodon a go, which is open source and decentralised, but so far it seems that, for some reason, a large (or at least frequently posting) proportion of its user bases are some combination of Japanese, anime fans, or bots reposting news accounts from Twitter; finding people or topics of interest to follow seems rather hard!

1. werdsmith Silver badge

"I need it to stay in touch" is the feeblest excuse of all for sustaining these poisonous things.

There is always a better way. There always was.

1. Helcat

"I need it to stay in touch" is the feeblest excuse of all for sustaining these poisonous things.

Not if the people you want to keep in touch with won't use an alternative platform. That's been the problem when something new comes along: People won't try it out 'cause they're happy where they are. Warts and all.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

In living memory, at least here in the UK, you could post a letter, 1st class, and if it was addressed to the same town or at least handled by the same sorting office and before lunchtime, they'd receive it in the afternoon post, same day. Next day to the rest of the mainland UK except maybe some parts of the Highlands of Scotland.

Of course, now that people don't use the postal service so much it's been pared to the bone and is less of an alternative.

1. jake Silver badge

Up until about two years ago I could drop a card in the mail before noon at the Post Office in Fort Bragg, CA and it would be delivered to MeDearOldMum in Palo Alto the following afternoon, without fail. Just standard postage rates, no first class needed. About 200 road miles. Today it can take over a week.

About a billion years ago (in Internet years, say roughly late 1989) I talked a guy through compiling, installing and setting up IRC client and server software. We used email as a close to real-time communications method during this process. He was in New Zealand, I was in California. When we were nearly done, and using IRC to wrap up the installation, he commented that email was just as useful in some ways ... and more useful in others. Still is, IMO.

2. Smartypantz

"Social Networking" is the worst manifestation of primate kill-culture since the gladiators! It's a free-for-all rape-fest with our cooperate overlords selling the hem of our hatefillled strivings to the highest bidder! That is what "social networking" is. Do not let any of the hordes of babbling, teat-sucking media-whores convince you otherwise!

2. quartzz

Re: "All tweets, notifications vanish"

at least the purpose of twitter isn't to specifically identify/collect/sell hashtags, with the actual website and interface as a fairly tedious afterthought and resource-sink for the website owner. like. instagram (facebook) might be.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UTC?

We're still in BST for another couple of weeks...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: UTC?

Err, no. *U*TC is UTC, always, that's the point. Local time is irrelevant.

You can work out your local timezone offset from UTC easily, wherever you are. That's also another one of its points.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My clock on the wall, the clocks on the TV, the clocks the boss goes by, the clocks the pubs and shops go by.... are all in BST.. That's the point.

I know what UTC is, though, but thanks for geeksplaining!

1. jake Silver badge

"My clock on the wall, the clocks on the TV, the clocks the boss goes by, the clocks the pubs and shops go by.... are all in BST."

We don't often meet people living in the Bearing Standard Time zone ... How's the weather over there in your part of UTC-11 today?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No, other AC, you are still missing the point, I'm afraid. Using UTC lets *everyone*, everywhere in the world, equally neutrally, quickly work out how the quoted time relates to their own local time. That it might have been handier for us in the UK to have the time quoted in our local time disfavours everyone else, and The Register is an internationally read publication.

The fact that UK time happens to be the same as UTC for (slightly less than) half the year, and 1 hour ahead for the other half of the year is just a happy coincidence (OK, it's not actually a /coincidence/, for obvious reasons), but the point is that quoting the "universal" time deliberately doesn't favour nor disfavour *any* particular local time zone: it's the standard to which all other times can be *quickly and easily compared* (which is not the case for any of the US time zones (or UK time, *because* our summer time differs from GMT/UTC), where everyone else has to then work out how that compares to their timezone *and* check whether summer time is in effect at one or both ends or not, and do you see why that is so much more difficult to do and be sure the calculation is correct...?).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No, I'm not missing the point. I know how timezones work, I also know that if I'm reading a New York article, the time (EDT) is 5 hours behind ours (apart from the wonky weak)

Using UTC on an article means everyone in every country also has to factor in summer time to work out the local time.

Just because it's a geek site, there's no need to use internal clock representations.

I also wish posts had post dates, not the facebook-like "1 hour ago", "2 weeks ago" bullshit that even githib uses on their hosted repositories.. sigh

2. jake Silver badge

Who is "we", Kemosabe?

3. IGotOut Silver badge

For English speakers it really is CUT.

4. Jim Mitchell Silver badge

BST (Brexit Standard Time) really starts at the end of this year, right?

6. jake Silver badge

I was wondering why ...

... the usual clutch of Realtors sipping wine on The Plaza were frenetically fondling their phones instead of knocking back Realtor's Little Helper as they usually do at that hour.

7. Denarius Silver badge
    Happy

does this mean

some sort of world peace may break out briefly ?

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: does this mean

Civility? People seeing that "the other side" is human too, and just has a different idea of the best way forward for us all? A general realization that just because someone is good at sport/music/acting, their views on politics/the environment/race relations aren't necessarily of any more significance than anyone else? Politicians focusing on reasoned, rational arguments rather than a 140-character soundbite?

Nah. Will never happen.

Have a pint anyway, it's practically POETS day.

1. tiggity Silver badge

@David 132

The 140 char limit is no more - they doubled it to 280 a while ago

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: they doubled it to 280 a while ago

Then there was threadfall. There is no limit now.

"Since the current Twitter threadfall kicked off in early 2016, we can expect it to continue until the mid 2060s when the next Interval begins."

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Yes, but 240 characters means stringing a sentence together, a feat beyond the grasp of some of them.

1. jake Silver badge

Some? I'd say the vast majority. Illiteracy has become the norm here in our brave, new interconnected-by-text world. The irony is palpable ...

8. Gene Jones

I had so much to say

Now all those who would potentially block me can't do so.

9. Gene Cash Silver badge

almost 0100UTC and still borked

At least here in Florida. I can see stuff, but I can't tweet. Not that it's a horrible thing.

10. HildyJ Silver badge
    Devil

Is it too much to ask?

That it couldn't have been down for a little longer?

Say, just to pick a random date, until November 3rd?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Is it too much to ask?

And take all its brethren with it.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

November 3rd 3020?

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Are you trying to make Trumps head explode? Not that I'm judging, that may be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view.

1. jake Silver badge

Last time I checked narcissistic concrete wasn't explosive.

11. Winkypop Silver badge

Twitter down

This is fine

12. RM Myers Silver badge
    Happy

I felt a great disturbance in the Force,

as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

But nope, it was just Twitter taking a s**tter. Definitely nothing terrible.

13. a_yank_lurker Silver badge

Unfortunately...

The most worthless of the sewage called 'social media' did stay down. That might improve peoples sanity a little.

14. Mark Exclamation

Twitter is always broken for me - I can never get it to work. Oh, wait, am I supposed to sign up for an account first...?

15. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

TITSUP

Twitters Invisible Tweet System Unveiled Prematurely?

16. Doogie Howser MD

Oh well

Do people still use it for serious purposes? The bile on there is industrial in quantity and quality.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Oh well

Not as bad as Facebook?

Though not saying much.

1. Francis Boyle

The problem with Facebook

is Facebook. The problem with Twitter is the users.

1. Robert Grant Silver badge

Re: The problem with Facebook

Sort of disagree - the problem with Twitter is it's short form, and utterly contextless. At least Facebook is generally sharing to people who know you (a bit) and can be long form. At least there's a chance of genuine communication there.

2. quartzz

Re: The problem with Facebook

the interface and interface design encourages a certain sort of behaviour..

2. Mike 137 Silver badge

Re: Oh well

"Do people still use it for serious purposes?"

Yes - it's increasingly used to announce new legislation to the public and for international diplomacy. We're utterly doomed.

17. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Somebody managed to shut the twats up!

Rinse and repeat.

18. FloridaBee
    Pint

I hoped it couldn't be fixed

Here's a pint for anyone who could make it permanent, but we're not that lucky. **Sigh**

19. hj

Don't understand

the amount of hostility towards the platform here. Because, or you hate it, and you stay away from it, so no problem. Or, you follow whoever/whatever you want to follow (say el reg...) and then there is no problem either. Feel like a lot of people think it's cool to say how horrible twitter is. (and don't get me wrong I know there is a LOT of bile and vitriol and misinformation on there, but most of us are quite good at thinking for ourselves and so in skipping that)

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Don't understand

I never use it but I read or see too many articles that refer to the brainfarts made on it and that's what I and others object to: ascribing some kind of status to the useless ephemera.

2. Robert Grant Silver badge

Re: Don't understand

If you stop looking at things as either love or hate, or people wanting to be cool, and think about their actual reasons and justifications instead, you may understand more. Although writing about that stuff is harder than just describing love or hate.

20. fidodogbreath Silver badge

And Twitter now appears to be back to normal, or rather, Twitter's idea of normal.

Pity. It was nice while it lasted, though.

21. Cederic Silver badge

problematic article

I find it ironic that The Register call an article 'problematic' and support that claim by linking to an article with even less factual evidence than the one under dispute.

This is not quality technology news reporting. This is political opinion. It must be embarrassing for The Register that mainstream media are covering this technology censorship row far more extensively than a technology site but please, don't do this.

The references to 'dubiously sourced' on https://www.theregister.com/2020/10/16/fcc_section_230/ feel a far more appropriate description, far more accurate and don't resort to pushing the oft discredited Russian collusion conspiracy that's been pursued for 4 years now without finding anything.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021